Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lift install question

Old 03-18-2014, 07:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lift install question

How long and how much does it cost to install a 3.5" Rock Krawler X-Factor long arm lift for JKU? Also, did anyone have any hangups with the install or can you provide any useful tips or tricks to the install? My install starts at 10am tomorrow. Just trying to figure out what to expect and interested to know what people have paid for the install.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

I would think 12-15 hours if the shop knows what it is doing and has done one before. If not, I would think closer to 20 hours on it. Its not a hard kit to install but there is a lot of cutting, grinding, and welding that goes into it. Then there is the fine tuning and alignment to make sure things were put where they are supposto go. Are you doing the drag link flip as well?

In the end $1200-1500 would seem to be a fair amount for having it installed.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:27 PM
JK Junkie

Time depends on the knowledge and experience f the guy and/number of guys (or gals) doing the job. And, unfortunately, if the shop charges by the hour for install, vs. by the job, it will cost you more with an inexperienced person. Range can be anywhere from 8 hours on up to 10, could even push 15 depending on the amount of additional needs and mods. Tire size? Wheel depth, etc., can require additional mod needs, beyond the simple swap out of components. Again, depending on the aforementioned. Cost? I've been quoted and know of pricing a where from $600 to over $2k. And get an alignment done. Preferably from a shop that understands lifts and proper alignment.

I did mine alone, in 11 hours, start to finish, in my garage. 3", lower CA, springs, shocks, brake lines, track bars, steering stabilizer relocation. Then I took it for alignment which was about an hour of work.

Last edited by Jeepstin12; 03-18-2014 at 08:30 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:37 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

I don't see anyway anyone is going to do a full long arm kit in 3-4 man hours no matter what kind of experience they have. In reality I would expect that it would be in a shop for at least 3 days, if they are doing a quality job including fit an finish, paint, alignment, ect.
Old 03-18-2014, 08:51 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I don't see anyway anyone is going to do a full long arm kit in 3-4 man hours no matter what kind of experience they have. In reality I would expect that it would be in a shop for at least 3 days, if they are doing a quality job including fit an finish, paint, alignment, ect.
yeah, I edited after I realized the long arm aspect. Even still, it all depends on how many guys are on the job, naturally.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:09 PM
JK Freak

i was so confused by the 3-4 hours comment, lol. Its funny though, I've never had anyone be able to tell me what the job costs. My install guy quoted me $1000. He's a very experienced (20+ years) installer, working alone with a lift. He typically installs Teraflex LCG kits which I don't think require welding or as much? (I have no idea). This is his first RK install, I'm hoping to have it done by friday. 38's are going on it, 17x10 wheels with 4.5" backspacing and a 1.5" wheel adapter. We are starting with 3" lower bumps and then will figure out what size uppers we will need based on the fact I'm willing to trim if necessary (or possible) and I already have trimmed my pinch seam and have bushwhacker flatties. I'm also installing the new Rock Krawler Pro drag link and the Fox ATS steering stabilizer so we will definitely be doing an alignment. I wish I had RKs new pro Tie rod to make the alignment easier. I have the Steel RK tire rod which is a PIA for doing alignments. super excited to see the new pro drag link and will be getting the pro tie rod as soon as RK catches up on the ones already ordered.

thanks Planman, Dirtman and everyone else who has advised me on parts selection and advice so far. Hope to have pics up this weekend
Old 03-18-2014, 09:17 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

That new RK tie rod is crazy, over $500 and bet those ends cost a pretty penny to replace. The ruff stuff kit is only $120 when you get it on sale and the ends are gm 1 tons and cost $38. Uses a left and right threaded end so it is easy to adjust. It may not be as pretty but save you a bunch of cash for other stuff.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:27 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
That new RK tie rod is crazy, over $500 and bet those ends cost a pretty penny to replace. The ruff stuff kit is only $120 when you get it on sale and the ends are gm 1 tons and cost $38. Uses a left and right threaded end so it is easy to adjust. It may not be as pretty but save you a bunch of cash for other stuff.
I'll admit, there was some sticker shock but they are overwhelmed with orders right now which shows that people will pay. Does the Ruff Stuff have a no questions asked warranty and where is the best place to buy from?

Last edited by rubi08unlimited; 03-18-2014 at 09:33 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:36 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You buy it from ruff stuff. They run a sale on every holiday so you may have to wait a week or so to get it on sale. NO, I do not believe they have a go out and tear it up and we will give you a new one warrantee, I doubt rock krawler is going to warrantee those tre's either. That would be a wear issue and with their design there will be worn joints. I will be courious to see how those things hold up over being aluminum rod and steel ends in places that have water and salt. Different metals don't play nice together in those conditions and it is tough to use anti-seize where you need to use loctite to keep those jam nuts tight.

I looked thru their warentee and did not see it listed as a hard part with the no question asked warrantee. Maybe RK can chime in and clarify that.

Last edited by TheDirtman; 03-18-2014 at 09:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 10:06 PM
JK Freak

I can speak for Synergy. Reasonably priced and adjustable once installed. Just got mine put on and im impressed.

Quick Reply: lift install question