Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift install problem/exhaust extension

Old 07-19-2013, 08:47 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Lift install problem/exhaust extension

I have installed a 2.5 coil lift from RC, the install went great and painless. Took the car down and drove it around, everything did fine. I than begun to install the exhaust spacers, I could not get that Y-pipe to move far enough back to fit the spacer. We tried a pry bar like they showed in the video got enough clearance to fit the the spacer and clear the drive shaft with no issue! How ever on the way back from my friends body shop I had some vibrations. Pulled over to the gas station inspected everything! all the bolts were properly tightened, all links were properly torqued. Only part that had some give was the exhaust pipes, it was loose on the rear hanger. Any advice?
Old 07-20-2013, 12:09 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check all your bolts for correct torque on the lift kit components.. something may have come loose..

Sent from my Samsung Note Phablet using Tapatalk 2
Old 07-20-2013, 02:56 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by warnabrother
Check all your bolts for correct torque on the lift kit components.. something may have come loose..

Sent from my Samsung Note Phablet using Tapatalk 2
I have checked all suspension nuts and bolt to the exact torque ratings on the project jk lift guide. Triple checked that...

Thank you for your help!
Old 07-20-2013, 03:41 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the RC exhaust spacers. I had to stack a couple grade 8 washers between the skid plate and the frame to keep the exhaust from vibrating against the skids. When it is lowered and slid back there isn't enough clearance between it and the skid plates. This could be your problem.

Sent from the fast lane while driving one handed.
Old 07-20-2013, 10:58 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Collyn
I have the RC exhaust spacers. I had to stack a couple grade 8 washers between the skid plate and the frame to keep the exhaust from vibrating against the skids. When it is lowered and slid back there isn't enough clearance between it and the skid plates. This could be your problem.

Did you have any problem with fitting the spacer in? Also how did you get the welded bolt off on the clamp?
Old 07-20-2013, 04:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JK'r

Did you have any problem with fitting the spacer in? Also how did you get the welded bolt off on the clamp?
Don't remember having too many issues that day. Did the lift and exhaust in a few hours with help from a friend. We used an air chisel to get most of the stud off then used a right angle rotary tool with a 32 grit disc to grind it smooth. Then had to wrestle. The exhaust down and back. Not too bad. Not "easy". But not too bad. The issue with mine was the exhaust then was touching the skid. Haha.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:59 PM
JK Super Freak

The clunking noise could be the exhaust hitting the rear cross member rite above the axle and it will push the exhaust off the hanger. You pushed your exhaust back to clear on the front but in turn it pushed the rest of the system back if you find that I'm rite you can take the exhaust loose next to the transfer case cut as much out as the spacer was and problem solved the rear of your exhaust will be back to stock position and the front will have your spacers as needed.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:13 PM
JK Super Freak

When I installed the spacer the clanking noise was coming from the muffler hitting my rear bumper maybe check that out. My solution added a dynomax rock crawler exhaust and ditched the spacers. Ill take my chances if I need a new front drive shaft so be it
Old 07-20-2013, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Monte417
When I installed the spacer the clanking noise was coming from the muffler hitting my rear bumper maybe check that out. My solution added a dynomax rock crawler exhaust and ditched the spacers. Ill take my chances if I need a new front drive shaft so be it
Muffler is also a issue but what I suggested will also fix that if you dodnt want to buy a new exhaust.
Old 07-21-2013, 04:32 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks everyone for the help. Some washed between the skids resolved that problem.

After exhaust issue was resolved when I make a right I get a pretty noticeable thump like something wants to give. I can't pin point it and it doesn't do it when it is standing still it has to be rolling 10-25mph. Doesn't do it every right turn. I read about the steering issue. Would this be possible even with 3000k miles on it?

Quick Reply: Lift install problem/exhaust extension