Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift install help - can't get rear springs out?

Old 02-16-2014, 04:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Big thanks to all of you last night for your help. That damn e-brake bracket is GONE! After that and removing some of the plastic clip things from the frame for the wheel speed sensors, axle came down nice with no binding. Was able to get the old springs out and new ones in with just a little muscle. Today is the fun part... the front
Old 02-16-2014, 05:36 AM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangrove Mafia
Big thanks to all of you last night for your help. That damn e-brake bracket is GONE! After that and removing some of the plastic clip things from the frame for the wheel speed sensors, axle came down nice with no binding. Was able to get the old springs out and new ones in with just a little muscle. Today is the fun part... the front
Front is easy too just be careful you don't damage the drive shaft boot forcing it down too much. I did mine with out removing the drive shaft but I was making sure it was not damaging the boot.
Old 02-16-2014, 05:45 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangrove Mafia
So I'm installing (well, trying to) the rear of my AEV lift. Got everything unbolted and started lowering the axle. I've dropped the axle as far as I can w/out binding the wheel speed sensor wires and the stock springs barely budge. Is it because the Jeep isn't sitting high enough on the jack stands? I have them as high as they'll go. Is there an alternative to putting everything back together just to go buy taller ones (if that's the problem)? Maybe renting a spring compressor?
You absolutely must loosen all upper and control arm bolts, and all trackbar bolts for the install and wait to retorque the bolts until the full weight of the vehicle is back on the ground at the new ride height to ensure than the rubber control arm and trackbar bushings are pinched between the brackets in a neutral position instead of binding/twisted/preloaded to the wrong ride height.

To install or remove springs, you need to disconnect at least the frame side end of the trackbars, disconnect the swaybar links, disconnect the shocks, and disconnect the brakeline brackets.
Old 02-16-2014, 06:42 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by planman
You absolutely must loosen all upper and control arm bolts, and all trackbar bolts for the install and wait to retorque the bolts until the full weight of the vehicle is back on the ground at the new ride height to ensure than the rubber control arm and trackbar bushings are pinched between the brackets in a neutral position instead of binding/twisted/preloaded to the wrong ride height.

To install or remove springs, you need to disconnect at least the frame side end of the trackbars, disconnect the swaybar links, disconnect the shocks, and disconnect the brakeline brackets.
I know you have done these a lot more then me but I have installed 4 lifts and never had to disconnect the track bars. I loosen every thing up like you said but never had any issues not removing the track bars. I am guessing it may be necessary on taller lifts but why on 2.5" lifts? Not argueing just want to know for future installs.
Old 02-16-2014, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jadmt
I know you have done these a lot more then me but I have installed 4 lifts and never had to disconnect the track bars. I loosen every thing up like you said but never had any issues not removing the track bars. I am guessing it may be necessary on taller lifts but why on 2.5" lifts? Not argueing just want to know for future installs.
With a "proper" lift track bars are :a replaced up front with a quality adjustable unit and B: the rear should have a relocation bracket so off that one comes too. Plus it makes for the install a little easier to install arms and such as the oem bar is not pulling axle towards drivers side while drooping
Old 02-16-2014, 09:40 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Not disconnecting the trackbar limits the droop of the axle.

It is faster to disconnect the trackbars than to use spring compressors.
Old 02-16-2014, 10:20 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by planman
Not disconnecting the trackbar limits the droop of the axle.

It is faster to disconnect the trackbars than to use spring compressors.
Ok so no need to if you don't need spring compressors, which I did not just lowered the axle and the springs came out and went in no problem. thanks
Old 02-16-2014, 10:26 AM
JK Jedi

Originally Posted by ToolManTimTaylor
With a "proper" lift track bars are :a replaced up front with a quality adjustable unit and B: the rear should have a relocation bracket so off that one comes too. Plus it makes for the install a little easier to install arms and such as the oem bar is not pulling axle towards drivers side while drooping
I understand if they need to be replaced but BB don't usually replace them or have relocation brackets.

Quick Reply: Lift install help - can't get rear springs out?