Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift install help - can't get rear springs out?

Old 02-15-2014, 04:13 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mangrove Mafia
The springs are the ones for the 2.5" lift, but like I said, I can't even get the damn stock ones out. Let me try unclipping the wheel speed lines really quickly, see if that gives me more play. Already undid the breather line.
To be clear, no need to unplug the sensors. You need to remove the routing clips. That will provide plenty of slack.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The springs are the ones for the 2.5" lift, but like I said, I can't even get the damn stock ones out. Let me try unclipping the wheel speed lines really quickly, see if that gives me more play. Already undid the breather line.
You should be good unclipping the sensors from frame rail and behind discs then doing what others said jack up one side then it should fall out stock rears are short
Old 02-15-2014, 04:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
To be clear, no need to unplug the sensors. You need to remove the routing clips. That will provide plenty of slack.
Thats what I meant and why I said the locations where the sensors are attached. I didn't say unplug thats why I said unclip my bad
Old 02-15-2014, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just went and looked again and I don't think it's the wheel speed sensor wires, I think it's the e-brake wires? Are those the ones that are hung by a silver bracket thing under the rear tub?[/QUOTE]

This, the ebrake will hold you up.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Lol every jeeper has at least one of those forked curly brake cable holders in their garage if they did a lift
Old 02-15-2014, 04:29 PM
JK Enthusiast

Are you using the 6 ton jack stands? I had them set pretty high. Probably as high as my floor jack would lift the jeep from under the lowest point of the differential. I also loosened all control arms so the control arms had plenty of play in them. Unfastened axle side of track bar, sway links, shocks, ebrake hanger, speed sensor clips, diff breather tube and stock springs fell right out. No prying or spring compressor needed. Same for install of new springs and I even added spacers on top of them.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Alright, so I'm going to take that clip thing off and hopefully that gives me the clearance I need. Some of you guys said to jack one side up and let the other droop. That makes sense to me, but how can I do that now that I have the jack under the center of the axle? Use the Jeeps jack to jack the other side up? Thank you all for the quick responses!
Old 02-15-2014, 05:45 PM
JK Freak

Alright, so I'm going to take that clip thing off and hopefully that gives me the clearance I need. Some of you guys said to jack one side up and let the other droop. That makes sense to me, but how can I do that now that I have the jack under the center of the axle? Use the Jeeps jack to jack the other side up? Thank you all for the quick responses!
remove jack from center of axle, thats what I had to do, as long as your brake lines are unbolted from the farm and the breather tube is disconnected you should be fine with the axle on the ground(or almost on the ground) then you springs should pop right out.
Old 02-15-2014, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Just did this yesterday. leave the jack under the pumpkin and you can still pivot the axle to get the springs out one side at a time. I had no issues getting the old ones our or the new ones in. as was said the e brake cables need to be released from the hangers and the abs wires pulled free.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:58 PM
JK Junkie

So I'm installing (well, trying to) the rear of my AEV lift. Got everything unbolted and started lowering the axle. I've dropped the axle as far as I can w/out binding the wheel speed sensor wires and the stock springs barely budge. Is it because the Jeep isn't sitting high enough on the jack stands? I have them as high as they'll go. Is there an alternative to putting everything back together just to go buy taller ones (if that's the problem)? Maybe renting a spring compressor?
remove wheels, support the axle with a jack, remove lower control arms, remove brackets for the brake lines, speed sensors, etc., and lower the axle. Don't forget the e brake line as well. Springs will fall out. I got enough drop to put in a 6 inch taller spring. Shouldn't be an issue.

Quick Reply: Lift install help - can't get rear springs out?