Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift install help - can't get rear springs out?

Old 02-15-2014, 03:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift install help - can't get rear springs out?

So I'm installing (well, trying to) the rear of my AEV lift. Got everything unbolted and started lowering the axle. I've dropped the axle as far as I can w/out binding the wheel speed sensor wires and the stock springs barely budge. Is it because the Jeep isn't sitting high enough on the jack stands? I have them as high as they'll go. Is there an alternative to putting everything back together just to go buy taller ones (if that's the problem)? Maybe renting a spring compressor?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

did you take the wheels off?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should do one side at a time, so you jack up on side of the axle and press down on the other side, the spring should essentially just fall out, if your axle is on the ground and can move anymore you will prob need taller jackstands.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mangrove Mafia
So I'm installing (well, trying to) the rear of my AEV lift. Got everything unbolted and started lowering the axle. I've dropped the axle as far as I can w/out binding the wheel speed sensor wires and the stock springs barely budge. Is it because the Jeep isn't sitting high enough on the jack stands? I have them as high as they'll go. Is there an alternative to putting everything back together just to go buy taller ones (if that's the problem)? Maybe renting a spring compressor?

What all have you removed from rear. The speed sensors are clipped in at frame rail and behind discs. Make sure they are unclipped in both locations and also did you undo e-brake bracket. Maybe a pic if this doesn’t help. I had no issues with mine
Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah, both wheels are off, swaybar links are unbolted, trackbar is off, and both shocks were off. Just bolted the tops of them back in.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:03 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most lifts I've seen have you release the clips that route the speed sensor wires. Maybe 3-4 each side. Also, pull the breather tube from the axle and unbolt the rear brake line brackets.

And as Dirtman noted... Are the wheels off?
Old 02-15-2014, 04:04 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try a pry bar and some elbo grease should do the trick. If that doesn't work, you can rent spring compressors at Auto Zone.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ExpoJK
What all have you removed from rear. The speed sensors are clipped in at frame rail and behind discs. Make sure they are unclipped in both locations and also did you undo e-brake bracket. Maybe a pic if this doesn’t help. I had no issues with mine
I was following the AEV instructions and they didn't mention anything about unclipping the sensor lines nor the e-brake bracket. I was going to look around to see if I could unclip them but came upstairs to you guys first.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

What size springs are you installing?? Watch your brake lines and axle hose, like other said put pressure on one side and play with the spring, it should go in no prob.
Old 02-15-2014, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

The springs are the ones for the 2.5" lift, but like I said, I can't even get the damn stock ones out. Let me try unclipping the wheel speed lines really quickly, see if that gives me more play. Already undid the breather line.

Just went and looked again and I don't think it's the wheel speed sensor wires, I think it's the e-brake wires? Are those the ones that are hung by a silver bracket thing under the rear tub?

Last edited by Mangrove Mafia; 02-15-2014 at 04:14 PM.

Quick Reply: Lift install help - can't get rear springs out?