Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

lift install disaster, Help!

Old 04-19-2011, 11:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift install disaster, resolved

So I as installing my RC BB lift this afternoon. The front went fine and everything was going well despite the worthless crappy directions and doing it alone. Then while I was installing the shock extenders I broke a bolt. I noticed all the bolts were having a real hard time going through. I wasnt cross threading them and was messing with it for 20 minutes. I wonder if RC even have me the proper bolts. Then I just went for it. Now I created more work for myself.
Click image for larger version

Name:	screw1.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	151953Click image for larger version

Name:	screw2.jpg
Views:	417
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	151954
What do I do now? It seems the top nut is welded on. Sorry for the crappy pics. Its late.

Last edited by ChopN; 04-20-2011 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-20-2011, 12:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same BB. and there was extra hardware in my kit.. And now my driver front sway bar rubs the spring. I have tried several times calling there customer service with no luck :-(
Old 04-20-2011, 02:02 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the same lift and had no problems installing it. Was the bolt you used a sae or metric thread? All the nuts/ bolts on the JK's are metric. It could be possible that they sent you the wrong thread type. If you have access to a dremel tool, you can grind off the tack welds and replace the nut as it doesn't need to be welded to the mount. It's not too hard if you can get too it.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:35 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Luckilly we have clearence to get to our nuts
, I didn't think it was a luck thing at all, I always had clearance to my nuts,,,,
Old 04-20-2011, 05:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hit up the Rep

Hit up the RC Rep on this forum for help. He was very helpful to me when I had an issue with RC.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

I didn't have any problems with my RC budget boost, I am very pleased with them and I think they sent you the wrong bolts
Old 04-20-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ChopN
So I as installing my RC BB lift this afternoon. The front went fine and everything was going well despite the worthless crappy directions and doing it alone. Then while I was installing the shock extenders I broke a bolt. I noticed all the bolts were having a real hard time going through. I wasnt cross threading them and was messing with it for 20 minutes. I wonder if RC even have me the proper bolts. Then I just went for it. Now I created more work for myself.
Attachment 151953Attachment 151954
What do I do now? It seems the top nut is welded on. Sorry for the crappy pics. Its late.
You're not the first I've heard of this happening to. A guy in MD was wheeling when the top bolt broke on his RC shock and punched the shock through the engine bay...
Old 04-20-2011, 07:33 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I read so many problems with these lifts (RC) I don't know why people keep buying them.
This is the first one I have seen in a long time. My 2.5" coil/shock lift went on as smooth as butter, not a single issue. This quite possible is a carbon based error.
Old 04-20-2011, 08:07 AM
JK Freak

Nut and bolt it.

One piece of advice, when something is not going in smoothly, try another way and find out why. If you get frustrated, stop and take a break. If you don't take that break to reflect on what is going on, YOU WILL BREAK SOMETHING.

Good luck and hope you get it fixed.
Old 04-20-2011, 10:01 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by sushi
Same lift..I had no problems with it...

Quick Reply: lift install disaster, Help!