Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift help.....suggestions

Old 11-06-2015, 11:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift help.....suggestions

So here is the deal I am currently running a 2.5 Rough Country with the RC 2.2 shocks. No other suspension mods besides the proper length sway bars and front DC as well. I also upgraded to the RC Steering stabilizer as well. I am running a Nitto Terra Grappler (285/75x17) on a 9inch wide wheel with 4.5 of back spacing. I plane to keep the "34's" on and I would like to go up to a 3.5 lift. Originally I was looking into the RC Series 2 3.5 with shocks, the shop I was going to have do it for me (because I am lazy and also have no idea what I would be doing) told me that they would not install that because they get to many complaints and have to many problems with it. I have also been told by others that they had it, and got something better. So to save myself the money in buying something and doing what everyone else has done I started to look around.

I have decided that I am going to go with the JKS Jspec JKontrol 3.5 (JKS Wrangler 3.5 Inch Complete Suspension Lift Kit 108K (07-16 Wrangler JK 4-Door) - Free Shipping) and it comes with Fox 2.0 shocks all around. Now I don't know if I need anything else with this because I have no idea. I was told I would need to change the geometry of my steering? I am assuming that means that I am going to need a longer pittman arm? Also the kit comes with front and rear track bars, and front control arm relation brackets.

The jeep is my DD and it does see the trail occasionally (1 or so handfuls of times a year) so I was going to get extended brake lines for it as well (stainless) and I was going to keep the steering stabilizer that is on there. I am not into any intense off roading or rock crawling and I only tow a smaller 16 ft boat with it. Other then that it gets me back and forth to work and to my fishing spots.

So my questions:
Are new control arms a must or can they wait?
By changing the steering geometry is the pittman arm it or would a new drag link be needed as well?
Do I sound completely stupid or are these good questions for someone that knows a little bit?
Old 11-06-2015, 12:08 PM
JK Super Freak

The kit looks fairly complete. JKS is a much higher quality company and components than Rough Country. Instead of longer or adjustable control arms it has relocation brackets. Many people and manufacturers use those, from what I've read they seem to work well and the only loss is a little bit of ground clearance at the frame end of the control arm. You are address steering geometry with an adjustable trac bar and heavy duty drag link.
That being said....to answer your questions

1. Can the control arms wait, yes. You really are only losing some flex with the factory control arms and ends. If or when you choose to upgrade you will likely be ditching the relocation brackets.
2. Definitely no pitman arm, puts to much stress on the sector of the factory steering box. The heavy duty draglink will help. 3.5" is about the max you would want to do with out a flip kit or adjustable arms.
3. Never be afraid to ask...we were all noobs once...Just read, search...read some more...and ask questions.

As for install help look up Tom and Jake from Smashboogie 4x4. They are great to deal with and know their stuff on setting up your jeep's suspension.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:46 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by JKMedicPA
Do I sound completely stupid or are these good questions for someone that knows a little bit?
You decided on a lift before asking this very simple question. Your first step should be to figure out what the various components actually do, so you know why you might want them. And then start looking at specific lifts that might fit your needs/budget.

For your stated use, you will be fine with the control arm drop brackets. At some point in the future, if you decide to, you can add adjustable arms. Then you have the choice of either running them with the drop brackets, or removing the brackets and just running the arms. Completely up to you. But again, no real need for adjustable arms since brackets come with the lift.

The front trackbar and draglink will be running at steeper angles. If you choose to flatten those angles, remember that they need to remain roughly parallel to each other. This means either a drop pitman plus a frame-side trackbar bracket (look for reviews on this setup!!), or, flipping the axle end of the draglink to the top of the knuckle plus adding an axle-side trackbar bracket. (the more preferred method). In either case, you need to relocate both bars to keep them parallel. But drive it first to see if you want to flip...

You will be in the height range where driveshaft joints become an issue. Make a habit of crawling underneath and checking the joint at the tcase end of the front shaft. (or both shafts for 2doors)
Old 11-06-2015, 12:57 PM
JK Super Freak

Nthinuf makes a really good point that I wasn't thinking of. Definitely get to know what each part does. Another good thing...think of what size tire you want to run and then build your lift around that. A 3.5" easily clears 35s and could even do 37s especially with fender trimming or flat fenders. But if you only want to run a max of a 33" or 34" tire then you may want to stick with a kit under 3" where there are a lot less geometry changes to be concerned with.
Old 11-06-2015, 03:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good advice above from these replies. 3.5" is a lot of lift if ur only running 34"s. Definitely explore all the options before pulling the trigger. It you do go 3.5" look at Synergy's flip drag link kit it's very nice. As well as their front track bar relocation. I personally would go arms over relocation brackets. That also depends on a lot of what ifs and personal decisions for further mods.
For what it's worth if price is a concern Superlift introduced new flex arms at EJS last year. The Durometer joint looks like an exact rip off of Synergys and the arms look beefy. And they have a nice price tag. Learn everything u can before pulling the trigger. Explore every kit and make phone calls. Knowledge is power and will help you achieve the best suspension setup for your rig and its purpose. Good luck.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

click the red link below.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
click the red link below.
Yeah I "thumbed" through your post. And I was more or less looking for advice as far as which lift to go with. I am going to run a 3.5 but which one would be the best for what I will be doing which is not a lot of trail, DD, and towing a 2k lbs boat. The 34's I am going to run until I have the money for 35's I am actually going to get a new set of wheels, the ones I originally wanted, and tires, then I am going to keep the 34's for trail riding as those wheels are going to get jacked up from trail riding.

Like I said I have the RC 2.5 now and don't mind the ride that I get from that. I was looking at the JKS JSpec Kontrol lift which I like. I also thought about just armoring up and keeping the 2.5 and throwing on flat fenders in PA and doing the good old...well write me the ticket since tread will stick out.

I also thought about going with the Metal Cloak dual rate springs, fox shocks, track bars with relocation brackets (since the rear one is weak), extended brake lines, and the fox steering stabilizer with a full set of control arms.

Last edited by JKMedicPA; 11-07-2015 at 05:44 PM.
Old 11-08-2015, 06:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

You could also stick with a reasonable lift height for what you say you plan to do. Which in my very well-read, but technically not professional opinion is as little lift as possible. For future 35's and light wheeling you may want to keep it low and go with flats (Bushwhacker makes nice full coverage ones). You'll have way less to worry about in regards to geometry correction, drive shafts, etc., you'll still be able to basically drive wherever the hell you want, and you won't have the look of 34's and 3.5-4 inches of lift. Unless that's your goal which is totally fine.

Dirtman's post is well worth more than a quick thumb, and along with his conversation on shocks will teach you just about all you need to know in order to make educated decisions about your build, ie: If I'm this high I'll need castor/pinion correction, drag link flips, etc., and how to appropriately choose a shock length for your specific setup.

But to answer your question about brand, here is my typical forum thread reply: get Metalcloak, they're badass, girls love them, and it's what I'd get if I had the money.

Though I have been extremely happy with my JKS DC's and track bar... Lol.

I hope whatever you settle on fits your needs, and comes with with as little wobble-hunting as possible! Happy wheeling! 🚙 ✌
Old 11-08-2015, 06:36 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by JKMedicPA
Yeah I "thumbed" through your post. And I was more or less looking for advice as far as which lift to go with. I am going to run a 3.5 but which one would be the best for what I will be doing which is not a lot of trail, DD, and towing a 2k lbs boat. The 34's I am going to run until I have the money for 35's I am actually going to get a new set of wheels, the ones I originally wanted, and tires, then I am going to keep the 34's for trail riding as those wheels are going to get jacked up from trail riding.

Like I said I have the RC 2.5 now and don't mind the ride that I get from that. I was looking at the JKS JSpec Kontrol lift which I like. I also thought about just armoring up and keeping the 2.5 and throwing on flat fenders in PA and doing the good old...well write me the ticket since tread will stick out.

I also thought about going with the Metal Cloak dual rate springs, fox shocks, track bars with relocation brackets (since the rear one is weak), extended brake lines, and the fox steering stabilizer with a full set of control arms.

I thought you picked the lift you feel you need and wanted info on what other components you might need like stated in your first post?
Old 11-08-2015, 01:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
I thought you picked the lift you feel you need and wanted info on what other components you might need like stated in your first post?
Yeah I am kinda all over the place with this and not really sure what I want honestly...

Quick Reply: Lift help.....suggestions