Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift help!

Old 10-07-2010, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift help!

Newbie here! Picked up my new 2010 4 door Rcubicon last week and I have been talking to several people about which lift is right for me. I am still not sure if want to run 35's ro 37's but I am leaning towards 35's. That being said I have been checking out the AEV 3.5" Premium Suspension System and the Rubicon Express 3.5. Honestly my truck will see minimal offroad use and will be my daily driver but I want to be able to take if offroad on occasion. I am posting here because the shops I have talked to are biased towards their lifts. Any help/advice would be greatly appreicated. I'm sure this topic has been covered a thousand times but hopefully I can get some help. Thanks in advance.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:40 PM
JK Freak

Welcome to the forum! I'm also from Portland but just moved up to Kirkland WA. I've seen the Rubicon Express lift in action, but do not own one. JasonG has the 3.5 on his 4dr and appeared to handle great on the trails. He might be able to give a better review of it than I can but RE has a pretty good reputation for quality products.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:49 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Spend some time in the FAQ's (top of this modified area), and browsing through all of the lift threads before even considering dropping cash on a lift. Get a feel for what all of the different components do, and read more opinions and feedback on the ones you narrow your choice down to. Pay attention to the 'actual' lift height received from them (as opposed to the mfg's propaganda, which is generally less than what you will end up with) so you can get a better idea of any extra components you may end up wanting/needing.

The pic on the top of this write-up is good, if you aren't all that familiar with the components.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...-end-alignment
Old 10-07-2010, 06:02 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Word of advice.

Don't rush. Drive and wheel it stock for a while and you will be very impressed. Besides if it will be your daily driver with rare off road use, it will be alot easier to warranty stuff if its unmodified. Nothing against lifting, but take it slow and enjoy what it can do stock. It will help you understand the capabilities of your vehicle better and make you a better wheeler reguadless of yoru experience.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:25 PM
JK Freak

I think many on here run 33s as a daily driver... but i would go with 35s if my commute was really close by.. just a thought.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

jkinportland, I made the change and picked up my first jeep, jk, also. I am looking forward to trails, jeep events, camping, and some very light or infrequent towing etc.
I have also been reading for weeks now and have the AEV kit in my sights just because of the on-road behavior I have read about in this forum and other sites.
(it is on the internet so it must be true)

98% of my trips are <20 min away
the other 2% is an 8 hour slog for work

A lot of the comments and reading has suggested great on-road manors over stock the only issues it seems comes from the type of tire used.

This is my first post and I hope it helps even if it is from another jeep noob.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:42 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Trey
)

98% of my trips are <20 min away
the other 2% is an 8 hour slog for work

Damn, you only work 2 percent of the time? I want your job.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the comments, suggestions, and advice. I too have been reading the web and searching for more info and will continue to do so.......keep the comments coming.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:21 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Another note I forgot to mention - pay attention to the driveshaft recommendations in the faq's, and also note the caster correction method used in the various kits. (hint - do a search on 'cam bolts')

Quick Reply: Lift help!