Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift height/drive shaft question?

Old 02-26-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Lift height/drive shaft question?

Howdy y'all,

I'm new to the world of JK's and have a question about lifts and when to change out drive shafts. First a little history of my experience. I've owned two other jeeps: a 1990 YJ and a 1979 CJ-7. Sorry y'all but hands down greatest jeeps are the CJ series IMO. I plan to get another 7 or an 8 but I had to compromise about a year ago when the wife and I had been trying to have kids for about six years but no dice. I sold my 7 so we could try IVF. (Luckily I was active duty Marine Corps at the time and we got a discounted rate in Raleigh cause our insurance didn't cover any of it!) Long story short it worked and I now have two beautiful twin girls that are about to be 8 months old: hence the wife wanting me to get a JK for their safety. I like it a lot it's just a little to high tech for me is all. To fancy a Jeep. Now about the jeep and my question:

It's a 2008 JKUS automatic (so the wife can have fun wheelin too)
Previous owner installed a TF 2.5" BB with Rancho shocks and an air raid intake. Performance wise, that's it.

The question y'all have been waiting for...
I am going to run the RK 5.5" X factor mid arm lift and 37" tires to start. (Planning on 40's later) in all my research I can only find things about changing the front drive shaft after 3". I should replace both for a 5.5" right? Your help would be appreciated! Thanks guys/gals.

Josh
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-491769004.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	427283   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1470891733.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	427284  
Old 02-26-2013, 06:53 PM
JK Newbie

Actually after going out and getting under the jeep, it looks like the TF 1.5" leveling kit and the Rancho shocks...
Old 02-27-2013, 02:54 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep have to do the rear as well at that height. Make sure the lift has or you buy longer brake lines and not brackets at that height.
Old 02-27-2013, 05:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by blue project
Yep have to do the rear as well at that height. Make sure the lift has or you buy longer brake lines and not brackets at that height.
^^ What blue said...you'll need new driveshafts front and rear.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yes! With that much lift I can almost guarantee drive shafts will need replacing as well as break lines.
Old 02-27-2013, 06:38 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to The forum. At that height you're going to need more than just drive shafts And with the tires you're talking about you may have to beef up your axles as well.good luck on your build.
Old 02-27-2013, 07:46 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys, that is what I figured. I'm still pretty undecided on the lift. I don't know that I will ever need 40's, but I want them. I'm thinking that the RK 3.5" X Factor mid arm with flatties to run my 37's.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:32 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Originally Posted by JeepWrangled
Thanks guys, that is what I figured. I'm still pretty undecided on the lift. I don't know that I will ever need 40's, but I want them. I'm thinking that the RK 3.5" X Factor mid arm with flatties to run my 37's.
Here's the thing. Can you get away with running factorys? Yes. But they will burn up over time or break on the trail.

The front will need replaced first as it will make contact with the autopan.
Old 02-27-2013, 08:50 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JeepWrangled
This is the setup I run and it has been great. Im still running stock ds shafts for the past two years. Ive just torn the large boot on the rear which is no big deal. I have a manual trans but since you have an auto i think you will need a front ds sooner then later.

Quick Reply: Lift height/drive shaft question?