Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift and gears

Old 10-07-2011, 04:50 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default programmer

OK thanks to everyone for your reply's, Here is what I'm planning to do.
5.13's gears front and back
2-1/2" lift (coils and shocks)
17" XD addicts
Now here is my new questions for all now.
4 wheel parts is having a sale. I'm not sure which lift to get
Teraflex or Pro comp lift?
can I run this set up without a programmer?
and finally please give opinions on the following tires:
Cooper Discovery STT
Pro comp extreme A/T
Falken Wild peaks
Mickey Thompson Baja Claws
Good year Duratrac
Once again thanks for everyone's suggestions (is been enlightening)
I will post pictures of my Sahara as soon as I get everything install.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Post up the cost and components of each lift. We need an apples to apples comparison to make a decision.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Programmer will help power but more important, you can set the gear ratio and tire size so that the Jeep is set up right.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:44 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Jeff76
Post up the cost and components of each lift. We need an apples to apples comparison to make a decision.
Pro Comp:
Front lift: coil springs
Rear lift: coil springs
Includes: all necessary hardware
Shocks: front and rear MX6 shocks with shock boots
Max tire size: 35x12.50
Wheel size range: 16" or larger
Wheel width range: 8-9"
Min-Max backspace: 3.25-4.75"

Teraflex:
The 2.5” lift kit is an ultra simple lift kit designed for the serious no-frills four wheeling reminiscent of the old days. Build up the legend and go for a drive! The 2.5” of lift is the perfect amount to allow you to run a 35” tire, and give the maximum wheel travel and articulation. Perfect for all daily driven Wranglers. The kit is available in three configurations for your desired performance level. The basic lift includes all of the essential items needed (some form of shock modification will be required- either adapters or new longer shocks). The kit with adapters will allow you to utilize the factory shock absorbers, and the third configuration includes TeraFlex VSS 9550 shock absorbers to fine tune the suspension movements of the lifted vehicle. Pick your version, bolt it on, and get on the trail! This kit will allow you to run up to a 35” tire (aftermarket wheels with 4.5” backspacing or less are required). Fits all JK Wranglers including Rubicon and Unlimited. Will provide an average of 3” of lift on 2 door JK models. Warning: If planning to use stock wheels, wheel spacers (Part #1055000) must be purchased with this kit.
Old 10-07-2011, 05:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have 4.88 gears and love them... used a AEV pro module to set speedo and tire pressure and all that crap....
Old 10-07-2011, 06:04 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by OzzyPotter
Programmer will help power but more important, you can set the gear ratio and tire size so that the Jeep is set up right.
How can the programmer help with power? I was under the impression that there no programmer that will help tune the '11 wranglers yet.
Old 10-07-2011, 11:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PETETLR
Pro Comp:
Front lift: coil springs
Rear lift: coil springs
Includes: all necessary hardware
Shocks: front and rear MX6 shocks with shock boots
Max tire size: 35x12.50
Wheel size range: 16" or larger
Wheel width range: 8-9"
Min-Max backspace: 3.25-4.75"

Teraflex:
The 2.5” lift kit is an ultra simple lift kit designed for the serious no-frills four wheeling reminiscent of the old days. Build up the legend and go for a drive! The 2.5” of lift is the perfect amount to allow you to run a 35” tire, and give the maximum wheel travel and articulation. Perfect for all daily driven Wranglers. The kit is available in three configurations for your desired performance level. The basic lift includes all of the essential items needed (some form of shock modification will be required- either adapters or new longer shocks). The kit with adapters will allow you to utilize the factory shock absorbers, and the third configuration includes TeraFlex VSS 9550 shock absorbers to fine tune the suspension movements of the lifted vehicle. Pick your version, bolt it on, and get on the trail! This kit will allow you to run up to a 35” tire (aftermarket wheels with 4.5” backspacing or less are required). Fits all JK Wranglers including Rubicon and Unlimited. Will provide an average of 3” of lift on 2 door JK models. Warning: If planning to use stock wheels, wheel spacers (Part #1055000) must be purchased with this kit.
For the lift, I'd go with Teraflex over ProComp. I believe ProComp lifts utilize cam-bolts which is a no no. With the TF kit the only things you may want to add wouuld be Front Lower Control Arms, and maybe rear upper control arms.

How can the programmer help with power? I was under the impression that there no programmer that will help tune the '11 wranglers yet.
You are correct, there are no programmers that help with power. The AEV ProCal is the only "programmer" that works with 2011's. It still is a useful tool though. You can adjust the speedo for new tire size as well as adjust the shift points if you have an auto trans, among a few other tweaks you can make with it.
Old 10-08-2011, 08:03 AM
JK Newbie

I've got an auto and when I went up to 35s I geared down to 5.13 and definitely would do it again. I feel that anything higher u would be dissatisfied and eventually gearing down further. As far as programmers go I would only purchase one for calibration and code uses because I felt no performance gains.
Old 10-08-2011, 11:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Ain't crap out for the 2011's yet...
Old 10-08-2011, 02:23 PM
JK Newbie

Default infO

What year is your JK? I have a 2012 with the new 3.6 and a 6 speed. With the new motor I only need 4.56 for 35". The 3.8 needed 4.88 for 35" Mine goes in next week. I cannot wait!

Quick Reply: Lift and gears