Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift and gearing

Old 08-22-2016, 07:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW I'm running a 1.5" Teraflex leveling kit and it's enough for 35's. 2.5" would work great if you plan heavy wheeling. Mine sees the Target parking lot n that's about it
Old 08-23-2016, 10:43 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

Gear Ratio Charts indicate for 35", optimum is 4.88. This is the gear I'm planning on installing with a locker, can't quite afford to do a front/rear so thinking of going for the rear. I have a quote from 4 Wheel Parts for gears at $2132 out the door which also includes $300 5/60 warranty, does not include locker as I need to negotiate and decide on the locker. I know there are probably a lot of local folks around that can do it cheaper but I want to get it done ASAP. Any Pro's/Cons on gears or recommendation on the locker?
Old 08-23-2016, 11:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by hornetman
Gear Ratio Charts indicate for 35", optimum is 4.88. This is the gear I'm planning on installing with a locker, can't quite afford to do a front/rear so thinking of going for the rear. I have a quote from 4 Wheel Parts for gears at $2132 out the door which also includes $300 5/60 warranty, does not include locker as I need to negotiate and decide on the locker. I know there are probably a lot of local folks around that can do it cheaper but I want to get it done ASAP. Any Pro's/Cons on gears or recommendation on the locker?
Maybe I'll get flamed for saying so...but.....4WP is EXTREMELY HIGH on installs. Granted, I had a buddy do mine for the cost of his tools, but I spent $1100 on regearing my axles. Yukon 5.13s with master install kits and Timken bearings $550 and then $550 for his tools. Most of the local shops here in the DFW area seem to run about $1700-$1800 for regearing. Maybe $1900 at the most. BUt then I guess if you're paying an additioal $300 for 5/60 warranty, maybe it's worth it. And as for the gearing chart...for the 3.8L with 35's, 4.88:1 is the optimal gear ratio. With the Pentastar, though, it goes down to 4.56:1, with 4.88:1 being optimal for 37's. At least from what I've seen. Maybe it's changed since then. I'd personally do 4.88's though in case you ever decide you want to go bigger. But then there's a lot more you'll want to do at that point, too.

As for the gears, 4WP is pretty likely to install G2 gears. Not that really anything seriously wrong with that. I just don't prefer them myself. Just as I dont prefer Pro Comp, Smittybilt, Rugged Ridge, etc. But that's me.
Old 08-23-2016, 12:27 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

From lots of previous posts reporting prices for regearing, the entire east coast seems to be quite a bit more expensive than most other parts of the country. Several people out there have quoted 3000 for gears, no lockers. So while I may pay 1500 here, and someone else got it done for 1000 where they live, you have to go by what 'your' local shops charge. Shop around, and get reviews for other locals.

I have had bad experiences with several 4WP locations, so am not a fan of their sales staff or their installers. Others on here have said they found good mechanics at their local 4wp. Flip of the coin on how it will turn out. But, you're buying the extra warranty so all it will cost is is time and the loss of the vehicle for a day or two again.

Do you need lockers? If so, do you want selectables? Give us more background on your use and needs, and budget.

People have their favorite brands for gears, but most of the 'JK' gears still seem to be coming out of the same place in asia and put in various boxes. Base that decision on price and warranty, or what your installer recommends since he will be the one setting them up and taking care of any warranty issues.
Old 08-23-2016, 02:56 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

I went with Eaton selectable for the rear, G2 gears. Done, paid 1/2 up front and scheduled the install for 6/7 Sept. I would have liked to have done this myself but really don't have the time, hoping all goes well with the install.
Old 08-23-2016, 08:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Oh no. Over 2 grand just for rear? The guys there better give you a free reach-around for that
Old 08-23-2016, 08:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

FYI you CAN do just the rear if budget is an issue. Just do not use 4WD until the front is also done. I had the shop pull my front driveshaft until ready
Old 08-24-2016, 02:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you were closer to me I would do them for much cheaper and guarantee my work as far as labor..
Old 08-24-2016, 04:48 AM
Super Moderator

Received 208 Likes on 182 Posts

I'm sure others will confirm but from my understanding, you can't just regear the rear without doing the fronts to match. I believe that's also outlined in the top link FAQ's as well.

Edit: From the FAQs

Originally Posted by wayoflife

Q: Do I need new gears for both my axles or do I just need to regear the rear axle?
A: On a 4WD vehicle, you will need to regear both axles.

Q: Is there a good chart that I can refference to help me determine what gear ratio I should have installed based on the tire size I am running and the RPM's that I hope to be running?
A: Thanks to the help of the member Jpop, the chart below should be of assistance to you:

Last edited by Rednroll; 08-24-2016 at 05:02 AM.
Old 08-24-2016, 05:53 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Sorry for confusion, the 4.88 G2 gear install is for both front rear, I'm only adding Eaton selectable locker to the rear. With the locker I need to replace my two current toggle switches on my A pillar with a multi switch pod. My new out the door cost is $3400.00. I know some or most will say this is high, but thinking not too bad for what I hear installs cost on East Coast.

Eaton locker 871.99, G2 gears 731.46, a-Piller Pod 66.49 miscellaneous...inner axle seals, gear oil, lube lockers etc. total $1729.61
Labor...ouch $1,180

I just will be happy for getting done quick and having a warrantee in case something goes wrong. As far as I know not too any places around Virginia Beach that do installs, so hopefully this shop is experienced and I won't have any issues.

I usually do all my own work but didn't want to take this project and something go wrong and is my DD so need it back as soon as possible.

Quick Reply: Lift and gearing