Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift and gearing

Old 08-17-2016, 12:25 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift and gearing

HI everyone! So I own a 2012 jku sport I have a few questions
I wanted to jump to 35in tires would this be possible with a 2.5in suspension lift?
Also I know going to a tire that size I need to do my gearing. So after many google searches and looking through threads it looks like 4.10 is the way to go. But that being said it looks like people only do them for the sake of highway power? So does that mean if I switch to 4.10 gears it would the rear only? Considering when I go mudding it's on 4 low?

I currently have 33s, I bought my jeep used with them installed and they never rubbed. Regardless I just installed xrc smitty fenders

*front fenders will go on as soon a o straighten my quarter panel, I had a small accident a couple weeks back

Thank you guys
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3540775375.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	572.0 KB
ID:	654699  
Old 08-17-2016, 12:42 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

There are two threads stuck right to the top of this Modified area (FAQ's and Thoughts On Lifts). Start with them.

2.5" with flats is plenty of room for 35's. You should be on the bumpstops before the tires touch.

Gearing is subjective. Drive with the bigger tires and decide for yourself if it is worth the high price tag. (but just so we all know when replying, what gears do you have now, and which transmission?)

Unless you never want to put it in 4wd, yes, you need to gear both front and rear axles. A typical charge for gears/labor/out the door is around $1500 or so, could be lower in your area, or might be up near three grand. Check with several shops, and get reviews from other people before deciding.

And if you can, find someone local who has the gears and tire size you are thinking about and see if you can go for a ride. Be sure it has the same engine also, not the older 3.8

Last edited by nthinuf; 08-17-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:46 PM
JK Freak

First answer: 2.5" lift is plenty to run 35's. Technically you could run 35's without a lift at all if you run flat fenders. I run a Rock krawler 2.5" lift with Poison Spyder crusher flares and 37x12.50-17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Been running it for over 4 years without issue.

As for gearing....if you're never planning to run any larger than 35's, then 4.10s should be fine. But if you're going to spend the money regearing your axles...two things I'd recommend. First off......if they're not already in there, add lockers to both axles. You're going to be pulling gears out already anyway, so why do double the work and pay for it twice? And second....if you're going to regear....make the jump to 4.56s and call it good. Then if you ever decided to run 37's, you could. It wouldn't be ideal, but you could. Seemingly for the Pentastar, 4.88s seem to be the magic number for larger than 35" tires. At least from everything I've read and been told.

Hope that helps.
Old 08-17-2016, 12:47 PM
JK Newbie

I see, and yea I go mudding about once a week. My transmission is automatic 5speed
Old 08-17-2016, 12:48 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

You've got more reading to do and all of the answers will magically appear. Welcome and enjoy.
Old 08-17-2016, 02:59 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks guys!
Old 08-17-2016, 04:32 PM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts

I just pulled trigger on Cooper STT Pro LT315/70R17, I currently have 2008 JK with TF 2 1/2" lift and have 36K on Pro Comp 33x12.50x17 with a 3.73 manual. I know there are all kinds of recommendation for regearing but would like to get good advice on whether to go 4.56 or 4.88. I must cruise 3-4 hours highway to get to any good wheeling areas, so looking for any input to help my decision what gearing to go with? Sorry to hijack thread just didn't want to start another gear thread.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:53 PM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Originally Posted by hornetman
I just pulled trigger on Cooper STT Pro LT315/70R17, I currently have 2008 JK with TF 2 1/2" lift and have 36K on Pro Comp 33x12.50x17 with a 3.73 manual. I know there are all kinds of recommendation for regearing but would like to get good advice on whether to go 4.56 or 4.88. I must cruise 3-4 hours highway to get to any good wheeling areas, so looking for any input to help my decision what gearing to go with? Sorry to hijack thread just didn't want to start another gear thread.
Also in VA Beach area....6 hours to the good spots.

http://i302.photobucket.com/albums/n...Kgearing-1.jpg
Old 08-20-2016, 04:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubiBus
First answer: 2.5" lift is plenty to run 35's. Technically you could run 35's without a lift at all if you run flat fenders. I run a Rock krawler 2.5" lift with Poison Spyder crusher flares and 37x12.50-17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Been running it for over 4 years without issue.

As for gearing....if you're never planning to run any larger than 35's, then 4.10s should be fine. But if you're going to spend the money regearing your axles...two things I'd recommend. First off......if they're not already in there, add lockers to both axles. You're going to be pulling gears out already anyway, so why do double the work and pay for it twice? And second....if you're going to regear....make the jump to 4.56s and call it good. Then if you ever decided to run 37's, you could. It wouldn't be ideal, but you could. Seemingly for the Pentastar, 4.88s seem to be the magic number for larger than 35" tires. At least from everything I've read and been told.

Hope that helps.
Amen brutha, 4.56 for 315 70 17 on auto '13 jk. Perfect setup. I also added power by shaving about 170 lbs by pulling the rear seat and switch from the heavy hardtop to a Trektop NX
Old 08-21-2016, 06:58 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RubiBus
First answer: 2.5" lift is plenty to run 35's. Technically you could run 35's without a lift at all if you run flat fenders. I run a Rock krawler 2.5" lift with Poison Spyder crusher flares and 37x12.50-17 Nitto Trail Grapplers. Been running it for over 4 years without issue. As for gearing....if you're never planning to run any larger than 35's, then 4.10s should be fine. But if you're going to spend the money regearing your axles...two things I'd recommend. First off......if they're not already in there, add lockers to both axles. You're going to be pulling gears out already anyway, so why do double the work and pay for it twice? And second....if you're going to regear....make the jump to 4.56s and call it good. Then if you ever decided to run 37's, you could. It wouldn't be ideal, but you could. Seemingly for the Pentastar, 4.88s seem to be the magic number for larger than 35" tires. At least from everything I've read and been told. Hope that helps.

Quick Reply: Lift and gearing