Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift and DW

Old 02-07-2016, 08:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift and DW

Is the best way to avoid the dreaded death wobble to just not lift a JKU? Seems like that's where the trouble starts...with that if you lift and put 33's or 35's on are you signing up to never drive 75 mph?? That seems to be my impression of the mod impacts
Old 02-07-2016, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by lonestarvtx
Is the best way to avoid the dreaded death wobble to just not lift a JKU? Seems like that's where the trouble starts...with that if you lift and put 33's or 35's on are you signing up to never drive 75 mph?? That seems to be my impression of the mod impacts
DW is not the result of the lift (in most cases). It's the result of steering components wearing. Now, most folks put a lift on to add capability for off-roading. Off-roading means stressing the steering system more than a mall crawler. It's a correlation, not a causation.

I have 2.5" of actual lift with 35s and I regularly drive mine at 80 (or a little more) on the interstate and WITHOUT a steering stabilizer (haven't used one in 2 years) with no troubles. The trick is to ensure you perform regular maintenance and you check for component wear on a regular basis. Then replace/repair/properly torque when you find a component out of spec.

This is a good read and explains better than I will ever be able to.

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-w...obbles-260145/
Old 02-07-2016, 08:55 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A properly maintained jeep will not have wobble. A stock jeep with worn TREs, ball joints, bushing or loose steering components will get death wobble just like a modified jeep.

A lot of people don't maintain their jeep either because they don't know how or don't want to and that's when things happen. If you already have worn out components a lift & big tires will not fix them, it will make you notice your worn components even more.

Some people also get death wobble because of poor installation of their lift kit. If you don't know what you're doing then spend the time to learn what's going on before installing a lift. Your 35s can wait in the garage for a few more weeks. Whatever you do don't spend money on dual steering stabilizers.

I have a JKU with a 3" lift on 37s. All work has been done by me in my garage including alignments. My jeep tracks straight and will do 80 mph down the hwy with 1 finger on the wheel. It's maintained well and as a result it's been good to me when she gets driven rough on the trail.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:05 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Joe_B
A properly maintained jeep will not have wobble. A stock jeep with worn TREs, ball joints, bushing or loose steering components will get death wobble just like a modified jeep. A lot of people don't maintain their jeep either because they don't know how or don't want to and that's when things happen. If you already have worn out components a lift & big tires will not fix them, it will make you notice your worn components even more. Some people also get death wobble because of poor installation of their lift kit. If you don't know what you're doing then spend the time to learn what's going on before installing a lift. Your 35s can wait in the garage for a few more weeks. Whatever you do don't spend money on dual steering stabilizers. I have a JKU with a 3" lift on 37s. All work has been done by me in my garage including alignments. My jeep tracks straight and will do 80 mph down the hwy with 1 finger on the wheel. It's maintained well and as a result it's been good to me when she gets driven rough on the trail.
is there a thread or reference on the maintenance piece?
Old 02-07-2016, 05:06 PM
JK Newbie

Watching the videos now
Old 02-07-2016, 05:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 114 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by lonestarvtx
is there a thread or reference on the maintenance piece?

Watch the video in post #2. The parts he discusses is what you need to check on a regular basis.

Check torque on all bolts for front suspension. (most notorious is the track bar bolts loosening)

Check tie rod ends on the tie rod and the drag link.

Check that the ball joints on are solid.

Check that the wheel bearing assemblies are solid.

Do this with each oil change.
Old 02-07-2016, 05:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jedg
Watch the video in post #2. The parts he discusses is what you need to check on a regular basis. Check torque on all bolts for front suspension. (most notorious is the track bar bolts loosening) Check tie rod ends on the tie rod and the drag link. Check that the ball joints on are solid. Check that the wheel bearing assemblies are solid. Do this with each oil change.
great info thank you!
Old 02-07-2016, 05:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I have a 2007 that had no lift and stock tires. By 38,000 miles, the stock ball joints on the steering knuckle were shot and had DW bad. So, no, a lift and big tires are no guarantee for DW. I upgraded the ball joints and now run 35" Toyos. No more DW and smooth as anything at 85 mph.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:37 AM
JK Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Having read a zillion "death wobble" threads I have come to the conclusion that many people are confusing the sudden activation of the stability control system with death wobble, such as hitting a pot hole at 70 mph while on a curve in the highway, etc. activating the SCS, causing braking at different wheels, sudden, almost violent shaking in the steering wheel, and loss of power. Weak shocks, soft springs, combined with the increase in suspension movement makes the computer think that pot hole or large dip in the road that caused some oscillation in the vehicle body movement with the suspension movement as a loss of vehicle control.
Old 02-08-2016, 10:14 AM
JK Newbie

DW sucks never had it on any of my wranglers over the years but had it on one of my cherokees cuased by completely shot front end. bought it to fix it up and the whole front end was shot all the steering and suspension parts needed to be replaced.

Quick Reply: Lift and DW