Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Co's: Years in Business

Old 05-04-2008, 06:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Co's: Years in Business

Hi all,

So, my 4dr JK Rubicon will be here in about 10 days and thoughts of lifts are dancing in my head. I plan on keeping this Jeep for many years and as such would like to get a lift from a company that has been in business for a while. My thinking is what if ten years from now I need parts and that company has gone under. At that point I would think the only option would be to buy a whole new system. That would suck. So which company has been in business the longest? I'm also hoping to have enough pennies together to go with a long arm, so if we could keep it to companies that are producing those. Thanks!

-Derek
Old 05-04-2008, 06:29 PM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

thats a dang good question, but as any Nth degree owner will tell ya - ya never know. You can never guarentee that they'll stay in business obviously, but most of the big companies have been in business for quite awhile. As far as the longest, you might have to do some research on that one. good question though.
Old 05-04-2008, 06:31 PM
JK Newbie

...if you put on a 4" lift now & plan to keep the JK forever, don't you think that eventually you'll change lift's anyway...???

I just bought my JK a year ago & immediately installed a 4" skyjacker and 35" BFG's...

Now, I have less than 5,000 miles on the rig, 5:13's & ECTED lockers.

I already want to change to the 60 axles, install a 6" lift & run 37-39/40's...

My rig is strictly a weekend warrior, not my daily driver. I should be happy and fine w/my current set-up, however, I'm always looking for differnt and better upgrades...
Old 05-04-2008, 07:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, I imagine the best thing would be to make some phone call to the companies themselves. I understand things wear out, and this Jeep will be my daily driver, so longevity of the AM parts will be important. The AM Jeep stuff kind of reminds me of the Harley after market, any dude with a welder can go into business, have a flashy web site and then invest the profits into the ex-wife and cheap beer. Then, there you are with your ride on blocks. I would prefer to avoid this. But staying stock certainly is not an option! If no one posts the info, I will when I get it.

-Derek
Old 05-04-2008, 08:17 PM
ksk
JK Enthusiast

Rough Country have been in the biz for 30 yrs.... Rubicon express is another that has been in the biz for a very long time...Rancho is another one..aswell...

FYI

KSK
Old 05-05-2008, 05:57 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Percheron
Hi all,

So, my 4dr JK Rubicon will be here in about 10 days and thoughts of lifts are dancing in my head. I plan on keeping this Jeep for many years and as such would like to get a lift from a company that has been in business for a while. My thinking is what if ten years from now I need parts and that company has gone under. At that point I would think the only option would be to buy a whole new system. That would suck. So which company has been in business the longest? I'm also hoping to have enough pennies together to go with a long arm, so if we could keep it to companies that are producing those. Thanks!

-Derek
Hey Derek,
Rancho has been around for 53 years.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SuperJeepJK
I don't think anyone has been in business longer than Rancho(off-road industry).

However, does it really matter(I mean your question)?
Any good fab shop in the US can make any part that you might break, whether the suspension manufacturer is in business or not. Even if you don't go to a fab shop, a similar suspension manufacturer will have a part that would be similar enough that you could use or modify. I already have mixed and matched parts on my JK. I've even got Teraflex bushings in my Skyjacker joints that I modified to fit.
I'd just go with a reputable suspension company and deal with breakage when it comes.
You are totally right, however, I would prefer to be able to take a part off and put back the exact same part except new and sparkly. I'm also sure many of the parts, regardless of lift company, are coming out of the same factory.

Hey Derek,
Rancho has been around for 53 years.
That is quite impressive! I was looking over your site and noticed your distributors are not carrying the L.A. kit., or at least they don't have it on their web sites.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:23 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

TeraFlex has been around since 1996.
Old 05-05-2008, 07:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

O.k.,

So here is what I've got:

Rancho: 53 years
Rubicon Express: Since 1996
TeraFlex: Since 1996
Fabtech: Since 1989
Full-Traction: Since 1986

Now, I'm not going to get into which one is "best", that has been done extensively here.

Last edited by Percheron; 05-05-2008 at 08:21 AM.
Old 05-06-2008, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Your stock suspension will be on its last leg in 10 years... so will your aftermarket lift kit. Buy the one that has the features you want an 10 years down the road get a new kit. I highly doubt Ranco can service every suspension system they have ever made. Parts become obsolete just like at the OEM's. They will stock parts for a reasonable amount of time and then be done with it.

Ty

Quick Reply: Lift Co's: Years in Business