Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift component advice

Old 08-07-2016, 05:22 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Lift component advice

I'm thinking of upgrading the JK soon with gears, lift and tires and would like some input on the lift in particular.

As it sits now, I've adding 4dr springs with a 3/4" spacer in front. (relatively lightweight bumper/winch in front and light aftermarket rear bumper) Its sit perfect now with the 265 70 17s for me.
My goal is to run a 34 or possible 35 inch tire and don't want a ton of lift. After installing my modest "lift" that I have now I noticed the steering/handling was a little "flighty" but not enough to do anything about it.

So, I'm looking at the Rock Krawler 1.5/2.5, OME 2-2.5, maybe Teraflex 2.5 and can't make up my mind which components are necessary. I'm thinking the Rock Krawler stock mod, add some shocks and adjustable LCAs and call it good. I think with my weight I'd net around 2", be able to center the axle in front if necessary, and the LCAs will dial my caster in.

Mostly street use but do like to use it like a Jeep several times a year with some challenging trails. Any input?
Old 08-07-2016, 05:34 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

from your list I would just do flat fenders or the 2" OME no load coils and the needed accessories.
Old 08-07-2016, 05:45 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
Default thanks

Thanks for the reply Dirtman. Thats the thing, what accessories would I need for the OME? I want to clear the tires but also get the steering feeling a little better.
Old 08-07-2016, 06:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want steering to fee better and overall positive feeling rode quality your going to need some sort of caster correction.

Metalcloak has some nice stuff, a bit pricier than what else is out there in that 1-3" zone but from what I looked for they are the most complete.

One thing I learned from building my last XJ and now my JkU is buy the most complete kit you can being realistic with your goals. I ended up doing a 1.5" metalcloak lift and most likely be adding things that would have cost less to do when I originally ordered
Old 08-08-2016, 01:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

IMO, get the teraflex 2.5" lift with either their shocks or upgraded fox, and add their sport lower front control arms. Nice inexpensive setup that would work perfectly with your rig.
Old 08-08-2016, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another option if you want to keep factory rubber bushings is to use Geo correction bracket. AEV, Rancho and Metalcloak all make them.

They are a few $ less than lower arms and although you lose a touch of clearance in that area if your mainly a DD with only occasional trail runs it shouldn't be an issue.
Old 08-08-2016, 06:19 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

With the 2" OME you would get some longer sway bar links, a 2" raised rear track bar bracket for the axle, front adjustable track bar, some longer shocks or some shock extensions, and some added bump stop. No reason to buy everything in a kit if you know what you need. Keeping the lift under 2.5" will save you a lot on the components you need and minimizes the changes to suspension and steering geometry.
The link in my signature and there is another one stuck at the top of the modified section that pretty much will help you understand what you will need.
Old 08-08-2016, 07:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The Terraflex fixed arms use the factory style rubber bushings.
Old 08-08-2016, 12:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

With the 1.5 or 2.5 Rock Krawler do you need to change the driveshaft? If so, can you get away with only the front?
Old 08-08-2016, 12:51 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

You should not have to change out the driveshaft, but your overall set up and how you are going to drive it will dictate the driveshaft issue.

Quick Reply: Lift component advice