Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Choice Questions

Old 05-02-2010, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Choice Questions

I've gotten quotes from four different offroad shops. Each with a different kit. My dealer offers the mopar pkg. Another recommends a BDS kit. A third uses Teraflex. (250 miles away) The fourth uses Skyjacker. (He's 50 miles away and does a lot of rigs) Sometimes, I get too much information to make the right choice. I'm wondering how much more range a coil kit gives vs. a spacer lift with shock extensions. It seems a shame to through away the gas charged shocks that came with the Rubicon. I'm ok with the ride, but need 2 1/2" for the 35s and ground clearance. Will shocks for a 2 1/2" lift have a much greater range than the stock Rubicons? I was ok with a 2" BB on my ZJ until I needed more lift. Money is not a big issue, but I don't want to throw a bunch at a spring lift for 35s and then decide to go higher for 37s later on. However, I will go with a coil lift if there are some big draw backs to using the spacersand extensions.

What to do???
Old 05-02-2010, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

ive heard bds is junk

but thats my opinon.. and im just another guy swaying your direction

p.s
terraflex leveling kit on rubi springs and shocks clear 35's!! thats 3inchs taller than normal X jk's
Old 05-02-2010, 05:08 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

They are pushing the lifts that give them the best profit margin, not necessarily the best lift for 'you'.

Yes, adding shocks that are matched to the lift height will give much better articulation than running your stock shocks with a lift. (even if you add shock extensions) But, since you are considering 37's at some point, a cheap BB with extensions may be a better way to go for now...
Old 05-02-2010, 05:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know that I am considering going to 37s. It's just that I thought I would only want a BB on upcountry springs for my ZJ and now it has Claytons long arms and 6" lift and lockers. Who knows where the JK will end up!!
Old 05-02-2010, 05:39 PM
Former Member

Originally Posted by Crasher
I don't know that I am considering going to 37s. It's just that I thought I would only want a BB on upcountry springs for my ZJ and now it has Claytons long arms and 6" lift and lockers. Who knows where the JK will end up!!
You can always fit 37's on 3" of lift with minimum trimming, I ran 35's on 3" of lift then went to 37's.

Just add longer bump stops and cut some pinch seam.
Old 05-02-2010, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BLK-JK23
ive heard bds is junk

but thats my opinon.. and im just another guy swaying your direction

p.s
terraflex leveling kit on rubi springs and shocks clear 35's!! thats 3inchs taller than normal X jk's
And why do you say BDS is junk? lol
Old 05-02-2010, 06:01 PM
JK Newbie

When I picked up my Rubicon Unlimited I had the dealer install the Mopar 2" lift as part of the deal.
Only to be disappointed with the setup later ( the Bilstien shocks are the best part of the kit). This weekend the Mopar springs came out and OME 2" springs went under the Rubicon. The HD OME actually gave me close to 3" lift and a much firmer ride. I like the new stance of the Jeep, (very little rake to the front now). So now, when I make a decision on front bumper/winch combination I'll have front springs that will handle the load easily and carrying weight in the back on extended trips will be no problem either. OME kits have always been a good choice for me.
Lots of comprehensive opinions and lots of good suspension kits out there make it a difficult decision on which kit to buy.
Good Luck
Old 05-02-2010, 07:04 PM
HV
JK Enthusiast

Default lift kits

try to avoid pro comp lift kits i had one recently installed and its junk stick to rubicon express or full traction etc
Old 05-02-2010, 07:59 PM
JK Junkie

I had a BDS lift on my F-350 and never had an issue, but I've been going back and forth for months and decided on the Teraflex 3" lift because of their customer support and their quick replies on the forums. Plus, there are a lot of positive reviews on here if you search for Teraflex.

Quick Reply: Lift Choice Questions