Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift, caster and front lower control arm question.

Old 09-18-2012, 06:48 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyQuik
Wobbles have nothing to do with caster. It's most likely bolts that need to be tightened, tire balance issues, or worn ball joints. Extending the LCA's or a little to increase caster will help tracking and eliminate flightly steering. Adding caster will also increase your pinion angle making the stock front drive shaft rzeppa joint fail more quickly.
Thanks, I will check and tighten everything. As far as caster and pinion angle, will it make any difference if I use shorter upper control arms or longer lower control arms to adjust caster? I'm concerned about increasing the length at the axle for the drive shaft. Maybe I'm over-analyzing this, but I look at it in terms of triangle geometry, if I increase the length of the base of the triangle (LCA) the hypotenuse (drive shaft) will also need to be increased...
Old 09-18-2012, 08:26 AM
Sponsoring Vendor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by holy_crap
Thanks, I will check and tighten everything. As far as caster and pinion angle, will it make any difference if I use shorter upper control arms or longer lower control arms to adjust caster? I'm concerned about increasing the length at the axle for the drive shaft. Maybe I'm over-analyzing this, but I look at it in terms of triangle geometry, if I increase the length of the base of the triangle (LCA) the hypotenuse (drive shaft) will also need to be increased...
its easier to go with lowers. Most uppers will not adjust short enough for caster corrections.

Don't over think it, Install lower adjustables and call it good!

Quick Reply: Lift, caster and front lower control arm question.