Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift and bumper swap

Old 10-16-2008, 01:31 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift and bumper swap questions

So I just recently put on some new 33" tires on my stock '08 JK (4-door). I would eventually like to add a lift and get rid of the stock bumpers. I really like to look and flexibility of the Rugged Ridge XHD bumper, and would probably get the winch base (no winch right now though), with the bull bar and end pieces to make a full width bumper. I would also do the rear bumper, but possibly at a later time.

I understand that the stock bumpers are quite light compared to the XHD's, probably 50-60 lbs difference in weight. My question is how big of a sag this will cause with the JK? Will it be a problem with the 33's? Should the lift come first?

The lift I am really considering is the Old Man Emu lift, but don't know if I only would need the MD springs or if I should really get the HD ones. Also, if the lift should come before the bumpers, should I get the adjustable arms like the package that David offers at Northridge4x4?

I would appreciate any input. Thanks!

EDIT: And with that post, I am now at 100 posts! WOOT! I qualify for the 12 Days of JK-Mas now!

Last edited by kockroach; 10-16-2008 at 03:15 PM.
Old 10-21-2008, 04:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

So no one has any thoughts on this? Would the OME lift need to come before a new bumper? Just wondering how much the front end would sag going from a stock bumper to the Rugged Ridge with end caps and bull bar....or perhaps the ARB bumper.

Thanks.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:07 PM
JK Super Freak

Ditto!! Go with the lift first.
Old 10-21-2008, 05:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by SONIC
you should be fine. it should sag about .5-.75 inches you can always toss in a 3/4 spacer
But id go lift before bumper anyway because the new bumper is not going to add to your offroad ability without a winch anyway.
the lift will
Thanks for the info on the sag. And very good point about offroad function!
Old 10-21-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Super Freak

I went with the bumper and winch first and now in the market for a lift because of the front end sag.

Quick Reply: Lift and bumper swap