Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which lift is better?

Old 03-05-2014, 09:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which lift is better?

So there are different brackets lifts fall into. I'm a every other weekend wheeler and use my jkur to drive to work. So out of the lower bracket which under $2000 4 inch lift would you trust. I need opinions from lots of different lift owners
Old 03-05-2014, 10:05 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First, what size of tires do you want to run? Keep in mind that not every brand suggests the sames lift/tire size combo.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Blackrubi13
So there are different brackets lifts fall into. I'm a every other weekend wheeler and use my jkur to drive to work. So out of the lower bracket which under $2000 4 inch lift would you trust. I need opinions from lots of different lift owners
Do some searching on here....you will find hundreds of threads on this.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:21 AM
JK Junkie

As said above, figure out what you want/need the lift to do, what tire size you want to run, and what wheel back spacing you will have. Then back into the lift that fits what you need. Unless you are going larger than 37" tires, you don't need 4" of lift or the expense that goes with it.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:24 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlFiJnAfEI8 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xZUSrjamaJE
Old 03-05-2014, 12:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
As said above, figure out what you want/need the lift to do, what tire size you want to run, and what wheel back spacing you will have. Then back into the lift that fits what you need. Unless you are going larger than 37" tires, you don't need 4" of lift or the expense that goes with it.
I'm planning either 35s or 37s depends on pricing but like I said just lite wheeling not building a competition crawler, and I just like the look of 4 inches regardless if others say it's overkill just a personal preference just asking if anyone has the less expensive lifts and what they think of them that's all I've already got my build type figured out
Old 03-05-2014, 12:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So far I have run three lifts, three brands, only one of them have been a 4" lift, but some of the same principles can be applied to all lifts from the company.

Rough Country - I ran their budget boost, and it was cheap. The parts we of acceptable quality, but you definitely get what you pay for. Braketry will hold up to DD, but off-road I wouldn't expect it to hold up for long.

TeraFlex - Their service before and after the sale was some of the best. Their suspensions flex a lot, however in my opinion I felt the springs from their 2.5" spring lift were a bit soft. I tend to go off-road with a few people and cargo in my Jeep and I always seemed to be riding the bumpstops. The TeraFlex bracketry is high quality and should last a long time. The only thing I am not a huge fan of on some of their lifts is addingt he plastic cup to the bump stop spacer.

AEV - Their suspension rides a lot firmer than the TeraFlex suspension. The brackets aren't quite as beefy as TeraFlex, but I have yet to have any issues with them. Overall street ride is one of the best, and I am able to travel the same washboard roads and trails faster than I was with any other lift I have owned.

In my opinion there isn't a one size fits all lift, and it is all about finding the one that meets both your budget, and your expectations. The best thing you can do is to find a local Jeep club and ride/drive several lifts and see what feels best to you.
Old 03-05-2014, 12:49 PM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackrubi13
Look us over, a lot of our systems fall into this price point and they qualify for our Spring rebate too.

Rancho Suspension: SPRING PROMOTION
Old 03-05-2014, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Lifts are all a matter of intened use, tire size, budget, and most of all opinion. With that being said my opinion is a Rustys Lift is hard to beat in all categories. You get an excellent product, excellent customer service, excellent support & warranty, and most of all it is AMERICAN MADE.( At least thats what they tell me!)
Some other great lifts I have had experience with are; Teraflex and Rock Krawler. They both produce a great product but the BUDGET usually plays a big role with these 2 companies! I would definately stay away from any lifts that use brackets that bolt onto brackets. All they do is bandaid a problem instead of fixing them. I always prefer removing a weak bracket and welding on a new HD one! Usually these brackets are used to address the weak Trackbar brackets.
Old 03-05-2014, 01:23 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Open and read the two threads stuck to the top of this modified area.

Get an idea of what problems you can expect with a 4" lift.

Learn what all of the various components do, and which components you are likely to want to fix those problems. (caster will be off and the ride will be flighty. Do you want Cam Bolts, brackets, fixed arms or adjustable arms? Will you want steering correction? If so, drop pitman or a drag link flip? What are your plans for if(when) you lose a driveshaft? etc, etc.)

Rather than random people suggesting 50 different lifts, start with the basics of what the components do, why you might want one type vs another type, at what height you might want them, etc.

And THEN start looking at specific lifts and narrowing your choices.

Quick Reply: Which lift is better?