Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lift Advice

Old 04-28-2013, 08:24 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lift Advice

Need some reasonable advice. I'm fairly new in my lift build and adding as the funds become available. I have front upper and lower control arms installed, and a front track bar. All are from currie enterprises. I bought the currie 4" spring on Craig's list and am wondering Walmart is the minimum need for the rear end to get the springs installed.

I know that I need to get shocks, brake line extenders, etc... But I'm wondering if I can get away with just replacing the upper rear control arms or do I also need to replace the lowers too? Eventually I'll replace them both.

Also, if I get the Afe y-pipe can I stick with the stock front drive shaft? Do I need to replace the rear drive shaft? Again, I plan on swapping these out over time. Just trying to plan.

My local shop said that I had to replace everything I mentioned above and of course, they would do it for me. I tend to think they are full of it, but wanted to bounce it off the great people in this forum.

Thanks for your time and help.

Sincerely,

Jeff
Old 04-28-2013, 08:51 PM
JK Super Freak

Rear uppers should be fine as far as I know. I think most will tell you that at 4" you should just skip the y pipe and do an after market DS

Last edited by 4W-Jive; 04-29-2013 at 12:44 AM.
Old 04-29-2013, 01:33 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4inches of lift will change the location and angle of your rear axle and the lower and upper control arms will help you center it back up, I would just do it!
Old 04-29-2013, 01:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TJM12
4inches of lift will change the location and angle of your rear axle and the lower and upper control arms will help you center it back up, I would just do it!
Track bar to center, the upper control arms would correct the angle. Unless I'm missing something.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:15 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I meant as far as being centered in the wheel well, when I did my lift, the axle looked pushed forward and made it tight for my tires which were very close to the pinch seem, the uppers and lowers helped that issue.
Old 04-29-2013, 02:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by TJM12
I meant as far as being centered in the wheel well, when I did my lift, the axle looked pushed forward and made it tight for my tires which were very close to the pinch seem, the uppers and lowers helped that issue.
Ahh yes. I gotcha. I see that a lot and it looks real off
Old 04-29-2013, 03:38 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

The axles didn't just look like they were pushed towards the center, the front and rear axle both move towards the center of the vehicle as you lift, in turn loosing wheel base and putting your tires closer to the pinch seams. A full set of arms will allow you to put them back where they go as well as correcting pinion and caster. You will want to raise the rear axle side track bar mount and do a drag link flip up front as well for a 4"+ lift to do it right.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:55 AM
JK Enthusiast

On the y pipe: I would not replace the y pipe. I would get the front driveshaft instead. Especially if you have any warranty.
Old 04-30-2013, 07:11 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks all for the replies. I will work on getting the upper and lower control arms for the rear.

Am I correct in assuming that I will not need a new rear driveshaft at this point?

Thanks again.

Jeff
Old 05-01-2013, 03:39 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

You won't need a rear driveshaft until it fails at the grease seal

Quick Reply: Lift Advice