Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lifespan of aftermarket suspension joints? EVO, RK, Teraflex etc.

Old 03-25-2012, 01:46 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lifespan of aftermarket suspension joints? EVO, RK, Teraflex etc.

I have been combing through a bunch of threads on suspension set ups for my '12 jku rubi. I would like to use a comprehensive kit and do it once. I was wondering what the expected lifespan of johnnie joints and the like might be. I have no problem lubricating and servicing these items but I don't want to be rebuilding/ replacing suspension joints at oil change intervals. Any advice or experience would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 03-25-2012, 02:06 PM
JK Newbie

subscribed as this is one of my comcernes going with a 3" or 4" inch lift im leaning real stong towards the evo 4" with the 2.5 kings with resis . but its not cheap and i dont want to be wrenchin as much as wheelin
Old 03-25-2012, 03:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Subscribed.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:20 PM
JK Freak

Good question, here is my two cents remembering I am trailing my JEEP's say 1/2 dozen times a year (My TJ in the desert, my JK in the Jungle).

Starting with my JK, I have a 2.5" TF lift with all adjustable control arms and are on my second set of control arm bushings (most of the bushings replaced already). I was amazed with the play in my rear axle pointing to the bushings being shot. OK, I have done several jungle trips + two one week long expeditions and indeed mud is abrasive but taking the life out of my bushings so quickly was a surprise...... However it is cheap to replace and my JK (1.5yrs old now) is rock solid again.

I have a 3.1/2" Rubicon Express on my TJ and are on my 3rd set of control arm suspension bushings (similar issue), the design just wears.........Yes indeed desert driving requires a lot of articulation but should the bushings go after say 6 desert trips????? RE are mainly rubber grommets with steel tube inside, the TF suspension joints are far more robust in my opinion.

Obviously everything wears, so my spin on this is that if you are trailing your jeep you should expect to change your suspension bushings every so often.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm not sure on the actual expected life of Johnny joints and the like, I guess that depends on keeping them greased as required, so they don't get full of grit, but I have seen several of the veterans on here saying to at least check the control arm bolt torque (125 lowers and rear uppers, 75 front uppers) and track bar bolts, which is also 125 ft. lbs. torque, at oil change intervals, or after hard wheeling. I know from experience, that an improperly torqued control arm bolt will allow it to move enough to grind a poly bushing away to nothing, and QUICK. And loose track bars are the #1 cause of death wobble. I think with proper torquing at decent intervals, and proper greasing, you should get years of use out of a quality joint before needing a rebuild. Also, some joints of that style are adjustable at the bushing, so a quick turn with a spanner wrench will snug the bushings back up like new.
Old 03-25-2012, 04:34 PM
JK Freak

Rock Krawler generation 3 joints on their control arms only require regressing every 3 years. They are preludes and sealed from the factory and the arms are solid steel or solid aluminum (pro) and they have a lifetime warranty. .
Old 03-25-2012, 04:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BuckLisa
Rock Krawler generation 3 joints on their control arms only require regressing every 3 years. They are preludes and sealed from the factory and the arms are solid steel or solid aluminum (pro) and they have a lifetime warranty. .
Yeah, and since a grease gun is just a hand operated hydraulic pump, it can put thousands of PSI in a small area, like a control arm joint, so while greasing as recommended by manufacturer is required, make sure not to over grease them either.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Jedi

Currie 2.5" Johnny Joint bushings can last upward to 30,000-35,000 miles if not more if serviced properly. The 2" Johnny Joint tend to loosen/wear a bit fasted. As mentioned, over greasing them is not good. Replacing the bushings in a JJ is fairly easy if you have the tool and the cost for the bushings is about 9 bucks per joint. Keeping them clean is also important. EVO uses JJ as well as some other mfg's.
Old 03-25-2012, 06:45 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It depends on how much you actually wheel.

Many joints will last fine with highway use and some light off-road.

Then it gets in to noise versus actual wear on the joints. Most joints will make noise after just one shot at mud. Many joints make noise but are still good.

Actual wear comes from either time or actual use. Rubber bushings can tear or breakdown with UV light. Nylon-type joints will wear as well so they need lots of grease to have a longer life. Poly joints are much more durable but make a lot more noise when they dry out or gret dirty. (notice how I don't spew out a brand?). Most other joint types will require annual servicing but last several years.

On my TJ, I ran different kinds of joints and I replace them once in 13 years and rebuilt them twice. So thats about 3 years between significant maintenance with regular greasing after any major run and at both the beginning and end of the wheeling season.

My JK has had a long arm kit on it since 08 and I am still running the original joints/bushings but I grease everhing about every 3 months + after any major run. I think the bushing quality has improved over the past few years as well..

Good luck!
Old 03-25-2012, 06:59 PM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the replies. I am trying to avoid doing the stepping stone method of mods. I want a capable rig but want to stop short of sacrificing all real highway ability and longevity. It seems that with careful maintenance the joints should last long enough between rebuilds that I will have done enough wheeling not to mind the hassle. Now to narrow down the choices....

Quick Reply: Lifespan of aftermarket suspension joints? EVO, RK, Teraflex etc.