Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

License Plate on New Bumper

Old 12-30-2009, 07:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

DIY for about $10 Check this out

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...+license+plate

Worked perfect for me!
Old 12-30-2009, 10:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by StevieRay
DIY for about $10 Check this out

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...+license+plate

Worked perfect for me!
The only problem with that is that I didn't get the winch mount so I would have where to connect that bracket to. Im gonna go ahead and try and find super magnets. Like the kind the dealerships use when they test drive a vehicle and just put it on straight. I doubt anyone will even notice if it looks perfect.
Old 12-30-2009, 10:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

http://www.gppinc.com/details/1239_5.html

Check that out. Its what the dealerships use. Any opinions on that?
Old 12-30-2009, 04:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Mine is a different bumper, but I'm working on figuring something out too.
After 2-1/2 years and living in 3 states that require a front, I finally got pulled over for it. Just got a warning though
Old 05-08-2010, 10:02 AM
JK Newbie

use some zipties and secure it that way, i have been looking at that same bumper and trying to figure out how its going to work as well.
its either that bumper or that bumper and the prerunner
too many damn options
but i am thinking about that middle section, then prerunner in the front
and AEV rear bumper and tire carrier for the rear
Old 05-08-2010, 10:30 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
if you applied the tape properly, theyd need wire or fishing line to cut it off.
it wouldnt be any easier to steal than if it was screwed on.
I agree. 3M double-sided foam tape is very strong and stealing the plate will be a chore. Easier to simply unscrew a plate than try to pry off the foam tape. Put a piece on each inside corner.

Just check the bond for snugness whenever you wash the Jeep or check the oil. Of course, we all know JK owners who do neither.....
Old 05-08-2010, 07:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by John Smith
use some zipties and secure it that way, i have been looking at that same bumper and trying to figure out how its going to work as well.
its either that bumper or that bumper and the prerunner
too many damn options
but i am thinking about that middle section, then prerunner in the front
and AEV rear bumper and tire carrier for the rear
The Zip-Ties work great. I had mine like that for a long time. Additionally - front license plates requirements aren't " little rules" they are a huge officer safety issue when police officers are trying to identify a vehicle which is wanted or needing to be identified. From a retired cop's perspective, it's a "law" that's certainly not difficult to comply with. I made a license plate bracket like the one shown above and it's quick on and off if you need to use the wench.

Last edited by pastorsteve; 05-08-2010 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-08-2010, 11:34 PM
Red
JK Enthusiast

For what its worth, I tore my license plate off while off roading and threw it in the back of the truck. Got pulled over on the way home and the cop wouldn't let me go until it was mounted again. After digging around in the truck for a bit, I found some blue RTV silicone sealant, applied liberally to the back of the plate, pressed it into place, and gave the cop a big cheesy grin. I kinda forgot about it when I got home and always had something better to do than mount the plate properly. However, about 4 years later when I sold the truck and yanked the plate off, it came off pretty clean. I probably wouldn't recommend this method, but it worked, so I figure a decent adhesive would do the trick just fine. As far as someone stealing it, if they really want the plate, they probably have a screwdriver with them anyway so the adhesive might throw them off. As far as the magnet approach goes, it works, but most states require the plates to be firmly affixed to the vehicle, and a magnet is not firmly affixed, so you might run into some problems there.
Old 05-09-2010, 12:29 AM
JK Super Freak

I have been meaning to get this done myself. Installed my RR bumper in January or early february and still have not gotten to it. It is still sitting under my driver seat. knocking on woods right now, still have not gotten any problem from cops. Probably becasue I live 3 miles from PA border and PA doesnt require front license plates. NY sucks!!!!!!
Old 05-09-2010, 05:20 AM
JK Freak

Still don't have it mounted and after have not been bothered.

Quick Reply: License Plate on New Bumper