Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

License Plate on New Bumper

Old 12-29-2009, 07:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default License Plate on New Bumper

So I just got my new Rugged Ridge XHD Bumper. I live in Virginia so I am forced to have my stupid license plate on my front bumper. Any one have any ideas on how to mount my license plate without drilling?
Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

magnets? Greater chance of it getting stolen though inless you just take it off everytime you park ... but atleast that way you won't have any holes
Old 12-29-2009, 09:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I dunno how ruthless the cops are in VA but I live in Texas (same law here as well...) and have never been pulled over for not having my front license plate.. Driven by plenty of cops and state troopers too
Old 12-29-2009, 10:09 PM
JK Freak

I have tried the magnets route and they do not work and do have an issue coming off. I have the same bumper and had to finally drill but it looks nice.
Old 12-29-2009, 11:39 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ElovesC
I have tried the magnets route and they do not work and do have an issue coming off. I have the same bumper and had to finally drill but it looks nice.
Can we get a pic of your bumper? I want to upgrade my bumper but have this as a concern as well!
Old 12-30-2009, 03:40 AM
JK Freak

Knock on wood, but here in Maryland I have been running without my front bumper. I carry the front plate in the Jeep with me, and was planning to say I just haven't drilled the bumper yet. We will see...
Old 12-30-2009, 05:20 AM
JK Junkie

what about 3m molding tape, or maybe some of that stuff thats like velcro but plastic on both sides?
Old 12-30-2009, 05:52 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by LOKI646

These are simply clips that snap to the rollers of your fairlead. If you have a Hawse style, I've seen where a guy used longer bolts and spacers so he could mount the plate when he wasn't wheelin (though not as practical). Below is a link to Viking Offroad, they have one similar to the one pictured above, but is also hinged for less than 70 bucks.

http://www.winchline.com/fairleads.htm

Hope these help or inspire to fabricate....
I have one of these and it works great !!

Last edited by Robar; 12-30-2009 at 06:30 AM. Reason: Edited clickable link.
Old 12-30-2009, 07:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AlmightyCrash
what about 3m molding tape, or maybe some of that stuff thats like velcro but plastic on both sides?
I was thinking the 3m tape, but around here the plate will definitly get stolen....Virginia is such a pain in the ass with these little rules. I might just try and fabricate something. We will see how it goes. If nothing turns out I will eventually just drill...
Old 12-30-2009, 07:45 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by JK703
I was thinking the 3m tape, but around here the plate will definitly get stolen....Virginia is such a pain in the ass with these little rules. I might just try and fabricate something. We will see how it goes. If nothing turns out I will eventually just drill...
if you applied the tape properly, theyd need wire or fishing line to cut it off.
it wouldnt be any easier to steal than if it was screwed on.

Quick Reply: License Plate on New Bumper