Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Leveling Kits Explained (Question)

Old 02-22-2021, 02:19 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling Kits Explained (Question)

Hello all.
New to the forum and have had my 2014 JK Sport since the end of 2013. It's been stock ever since with no problem. I'm now looking to upgrade the wheels and tires to 33s on 17s. The shop I'll be buying them from suggested a leveling kit along with the package deal for $3,000. In my research, it led me to believe ii wouldn't need a lift as I wouldn't get any rub with 33s on a stock but when they mentioned the leveling kit it got me to thinking if this was a part of the typical 33s set up.

They also have a 35s on 18s with a 2.5 lift kit package for $3900.
I'm interested in learning what the difference is between a leveling kit and a lift kit. Also, are these good deals?
Lastly, my JK is my everyday vehicle and currently has 13000 miles on it (long story). I would like to go off-road maybe twice per month and nothing hard core.
Would you suggest the 33s with the leveling kit or the 35s package?

Also, silly as it may sound, I'm 5' 4" and want to remove the doors myself without issue so that's one reason I haven't been interested in huge tires and high lift especially when I don't feel like I need it.

Thank you in advance

Last edited by BamJamFam; 02-22-2021 at 02:21 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:09 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Also, are these good deals?
Hmm. "I want to buy car A. Or maybe car B that is $900 more. Are they a good deal?' We have absolutely no idea, because we have zero information other than the cost.

Which tires? Which rims? Which leveling kit? Which lift? (the actual components included, not just the name on the box!!) That will give us a place to start on the total cost of parts, and maybe we'll have a better idea of just how bad the shop is bending you over on the labor charge to install.

For the leveling / lift, basically, the taller you go, the more issues you cause --> and the more parts you want to install to fix those issues. A leveling kit is short, and is meant to give a slight lift while getting rid of the factory rake. (from the factory, the front end is lower than the rear, so most leveling kits are 2" front / 1" rear to 'level' the jeep). Since they are lower height, you can get away with installing fewer extra parts. Lift Kits are generally taller, and, depending on height, you will want more parts to go with it. But again, we have no idea which parts are included with either kit, so can't really give an opinion. Maybe they offer a quality lift, more likely it will be minimal and you will be buying and installing more parts.

In my research, it led me to believe ii wouldn't need a lift as I wouldn't get any rub with 33s on a stock
Depends. On-road only, you may be ok. Offroad, with the tires stuffing up into the wheel wells, you may not. Measure two tires from two different companies that have the same stated size on the sidewall, and there could be an inch or more of difference in both height and width. Add in a lift, and you start changing things. As the height goes up, both axles shift to opposite sides of the jeep. Were components included to recenter them? If not, one of those new, bigger, tires is closer to the frame/bumper/skid/fender than the other, and much more likely to cause some contact than the other. Or how about the new rims. What is the offset/backspace. (how much further out of the wheel wells do the rims sit?) This, along with wider tires, means the tires will no longer stuff up inside the wheel wells. Instead, they may smack right into the fenders when you go over a bump or dip. Again, lots of variables, so the only real answer we can give is: it depends...

Last edited by nthinuf; 02-22-2021 at 09:19 AM.
Old 02-22-2021, 09:20 AM
Super Moderator

Received 480 Likes on 431 Posts

Get beer and buddies and install the $200 approx levelling kits available then get the 33" tires. Also put on LONGER brake lines (sorry for the shout out) as they are far better than drop brackets which expose the rear hard lines to bending (and breaking) from a stick or rock being dragged up by the chassis - ask me how I know. And the better choice is to go with 2" extended shocks - choose wisely on those. Then get good 33" tires. Sounds like you are a casual wheeler so that is what I would do. That will still be under the $3000 mark. Budget (no labour)
Tires (5) $1500
Shocks (Rancho 9000 adjustables $6-700.
Brake lines $250
Level kit $200
The following users liked this post:
BamJamFam (02-22-2021)
Old 02-22-2021, 07:14 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Didn't have the info today which is why I didnt post it at the time of initial posting.

33" Falken Wildpeak AT3W tires
17" Mayhem Voyager
I haven't gotten any info on the leveling just yet.

I would be driving 2 hours to purchase and they would install them for me
Old 02-23-2021, 03:34 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 366 Likes on 290 Posts

Looks like that wheel is available in 4.75" bs and 6" bs, get the 4.75" and 8.5" width.
LT275 /70 R17 114S C1 BSW is what I assume you are looking at. It is slighlty bigger than stock and would be the one to get. The 18" will be a stiffer tire. You can get by without a lift. To me the price seems alwful high for a simple leveling kit and wheels and tires. Set of 4 or 5?. You couls also mount those tires on factory wheels if you want.
I would think you could find a 4x4 shop in Raleigh.

Quick Reply: Leveling Kits Explained (Question)