Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Leveling Kit v.s. Front End- HELP/ADVICE/OPINIONS NEEDED!

Old 09-03-2012, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling Kit v.s. Front End- HELP/ADVICE/OPINIONS NEEDED!

I have a 07 2-door X with a nosebleed- it has a Rampage Recovery bumper on it and I'm waiting on the mounting plate for my winch to get here any day. I'm going to put a leveling kit on the front, but I'm having a little trouble deciding the size and brand. After picking it up a bit with the floor jack, I know I want/need 1.5"-2" (any higher and I would need bigger tires, which I don't want right now). I have my eyes set on a Black Diamond 2" kit part #700600 that has just the spacers and compression stops. I like it, but before I buy it, I want to know if I'll need anything else for the front end to keep all my parts working right.
Any other ideas on size/brand to choose?
Will I need after-market front end parts as well?
Pros/Cons for Black Diamond?

Thanks!
-Em
Old 09-03-2012, 11:53 AM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Brand doesn't matter. It's just a spacer. So you want to make up for bumper sag and correct the rake? You cant be sure just how much lift you'll need till the bumpers on. After correcting the sag your only lifting about one inch so you won't need any other parts.
Old 09-03-2012, 12:43 PM
JK Junkie

Once you determine how much extra lift you need, you also have to realize that if you take the "spacer" route that may get you leveled. But over time it may end up sagging again because you are still using your stock coil springs. Have you considered a leveling kit with replacement coils? They are usually designed to take the load of heavy bumpers/winch & keep the jeep leveled. The TF performance leveling kit is one suggestion....

Old 09-03-2012, 12:50 PM
JK Newbie

Hello! I had the same problem, my front kept taking a nose dive and I had the 2.5 teraflex spacers, the problem doesn't lie within the spacer, the problem actually lies within the spring. You should add the winch and determine the measurement loss, and instead of spacers actually add a spring, say you lost like me, an inch an a half, I actually added teraflex 2.5 in springs, and then waited for it to sag over a months time and then added a 1 inch spacer to the front and it sits level. Bare in mind any aftermarket coil should be twice as strong as the factory spring, unless you get 19/60 4 door rubicon springs up front.. Any questions you have feel free to pm me I had the same problem and was asking a ton of questions and got many answers and took care of it myself
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1807556189.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	66.2 KB
ID:	361720  
Old 09-03-2012, 12:54 PM
JK Newbie

Also to add to this, you could try a progressive spring up front?
If you have time read up on the difference between linear rate springs and progressive rate springs.. That also may help you!
Old 09-03-2012, 02:19 PM
JK Freak

I'm looking to add a spacer up front -- I hate the look with a rake. Million dollar questions is what is the easiest way to determine what size spacers you need? Can you simply measure, on a level surface, from the rock rail to grade, front and back, and use the difference? For example 15" front and 16" in the back -- get a 1" spacer??

Name:	IMG_0080.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	77.2 KB
ID:	361777  
Old 09-03-2012, 02:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

I would measure to fender flare
Old 09-03-2012, 05:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by mattbarton15
I would measure to fender flare
Fender flare wouldn't Be an accurate measurement.. Go out and check, one way to check is measure where the rock rails are. Or use a level on the rock rails, measure it and jack it up till its level and then measure it again to see how much you actually need... Or if your not happy with the front sagging, just throw a ton of bricks in the back, and it'll be level haha
Old 09-03-2012, 06:14 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RRCP08JK
I'm looking to add a spacer up front -- I hate the look with a rake. Million dollar questions is what is the easiest way to determine what size spacers you need? Can you simply measure, on a level surface, from the rock rail to grade, front and back, and use the difference? For example 15" front and 16" in the back -- get a 1" spacer??
I would measure it in your driveway, then jack it up where you like it and measure again
Old 09-03-2012, 06:29 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DKehler
I would measure it in your driveway, then jack it up where you like it and measure again
That's the only place it actually sits level!!! JK, I get the point, roll it into the garage.

Name:	IMG_0058.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	81.2 KB
ID:	361889   Click image for larger version

Name:	Jeep2010 - IMAG0602[1].jpg
Views:	81
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	361890  

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit v.s. Front End- HELP/ADVICE/OPINIONS NEEDED!