Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Leveling kit & spacers?

Old 12-20-2011, 07:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling kit & spacers?

I have a 2 door with 33 inch duratracs on a 2 inch skyjacker lift. I want spacers to widen my stance a little bit, but I am not sure what size. I don't want them to far out. And I was wondering if there is a good way to level my jeep with the lift already there. Just an inch or less in the front.
Old 12-20-2011, 08:05 AM
JK Super Freak

I don't think you need spacers with that setup. Are you rubbing? (you shouldn't be) Spacers are somewhat dangerous depending on how they're installed. I'd look into spending a few $100 more and just getting wheels with correct back spacing.

And you can level out your front rake by getting 3/4 inch spacers to stuff under your front coils
Old 12-20-2011, 08:16 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have a little rub on full turn but thats it, I wasn't sure if i should go with spacers because of the said risks.
How hard is it to install the 3/4 inch leveling spacers?
Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
Spacers are somewhat dangerous depending on how they're installed.
I'd tend to disagree with this. If you follow the steps in the Project-JK Wheel Spacer write-up, installing a set of quality spacers, like the 1-1/2" Spidertrax ones, (NOT the sandwich style ones at your local auto parts store!) is perfectly safe. If you are on stock wheels (like I am, and many others around here are) they are a great and inexpensive way to get your tires a bit further out to keep them from rubbing. I've put around 30,000 miles on mine without any issues whatsoever. Just make sure you check the torque and use Red Loctite.

As for leveling out the front end, yes - just adding a short 1/2" - 3/4" puck on your front springs will help out.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:44 AM
JK Newbie

Installing coil spacers is pretty easy.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:27 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Merlin4979

I'd tend to disagree with this. If you follow the steps in the Project-JK Wheel Spacer write-up, installing a set of quality spacers, like the 1-1/2" Spidertrax ones, (NOT the sandwich style ones at your local auto parts store!) is perfectly safe. If you are on stock wheels (like I am, and many others around here are) they are a great and inexpensive way to get your tires a bit further out to keep them from rubbing. I've put around 30,000 miles on mine without any issues whatsoever. Just make sure you check the torque and use Red Loctite.

As for leveling out the front end, yes - just adding a short 1/2" - 3/4" puck on your front springs will help out.
I thought there would be some who'd disagree with me on this since there a lot of people who run spacers.

The thing is you are adding an extra piece between the hub and the wheel - one more thing that could fail. Tire stores cringe at the very mention of them, probably for good reason.

A complete set of spidertrax spacers is $200. For around $400 you can get 4.5 or 4.25 backspaced black steelie wheels (cragars or black rocks). Not a big leap, and no need to keep accommodating those stock wheels.

Anyway to each their own for sure. I just don't want to chance spacers failing on me so that was my choice.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:33 PM
JK Super Freak

As far as spacer installs, there are a few threads on that in this forum. But you need hand tools, two 3 ton jacks, jack stands and preferably spring compressors. Not terribly hard to do but give yourself a lot of time.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:57 PM
JK Newbie

If you do the spacers I would def go with the spidertrax. They are about 100 per front and back. You def want hubcentric spacers
Old 12-20-2011, 01:12 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ChryslerChris
I thought there would be some who'd disagree with me on this since there a lot of people who run spacers.

The thing is you are adding an extra piece between the hub and the wheel - one more thing that could fail. Tire stores cringe at the very mention of them, probably for good reason.

A complete set of spidertrax spacers is $200. For around $400 you can get 4.5 or 4.25 backspaced black steelie wheels (cragars or black rocks). Not a big leap, and no need to keep accommodating those stock wheels.

Anyway to each their own for sure. I just don't want to chance spacers failing on me so that was my choice.
I think the very few and far between issues that folks have had with spacers is due to 1) improper initial installation and 2) no maintenance after the fact. just like any other component on your Jeep, if you neglect to maintain it regularily, the chances of having a failure multiply. we all are diligent about changing our oil at a regular interval, make checking items such as spacers a part of the routine as well. doesn't take much effort to pull the wheel, do a visual inspection (i marked the lugs/studs after initial install so that i didn't have to break the loctite by checking with a torque wrench), and put the wheels back on. also gives you a good excuse to rotate your tires at the same time. just my $0.02.

Quick Reply: Leveling kit & spacers?