Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

leveling kit problems...

Old 12-03-2011, 08:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leveling kit problems...

Trying to install a TF 1.5" leveling kit on a '12 JK (a buddy's, not mine, thank god) and failing miserably, so far. Here's what we did to the front: jacked it up, removed tires, lower shock bolts, swaybar links...lowered front axle as much as possible and removed both springs. The springs barely came out, and when we installed the leveling pucks on top of them, we couldn't get the springs back in. Can't lower any farther cuz of the brake lines.

Here's my question: do we need to remove the brake lines to lower the axle more? Will that mess anything up? Or should we be looking to use some type of spring compressor to get the springs back in without messing with the brake lines? Or are we completely retarded (as opposed to only slightly) and maybe missing something else?

Any advice would be awesome.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:02 PM
JK Freak

at the top of the page there is a section called project JK look in there as it has a step by step how to install this kit with lots of photos that could be a start.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:03 PM
JK Freak

also a Spring compressor would help
Old 12-03-2011, 09:09 PM
JK Jedi

Here is the link for ya. This is for the 2.5" BB but the idea is the same.
http://project-jk.com/jeep-jk-write-...ation-write-up
Old 12-03-2011, 09:12 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Use a 10mm socket and remove the brakeline bracket from the frame. With only a leveling kit you shouldnt need a spring compressor. The rear was tougher for me, but with some downward pressure on the axle I could muscle the spring back in.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

You guys rock.
Old 12-04-2011, 12:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Take the brake line bracket off and you may need to pop the wheel sensor wire tie-downs out (don't recall if that was the fronts or backs).
Old 12-04-2011, 04:43 AM
JK Super Freak

You don't have to remove the brakelines. Just be sure you unbolt the brackets from the frame or the lines will tension up.

Here's a tip that helped me with mine. Jack just one side of the axle up at a time. It will drop one side lower while the other moves higher. Kinda like how your Jeep behaves at full flex. It gives you several inches more room to get at the springs.

And yes spring compressors will help too.
Old 12-04-2011, 05:04 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by armycop
Use a 10mm socket and remove the brakeline bracket from the frame. With only a leveling kit you shouldnt need a spring compressor. The rear was tougher for me, but with some downward pressure on the axle I could muscle the spring back in.
Funny how something so simple, as a brakeline bracket, can get in the way of such an easy project. I have totally been there! Great advise ArmyCop.
Old 12-04-2011, 06:04 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by armycop
Do what he suggests and also, raise the side you are not working on as that helps to drop the other side.

Quick Reply: leveling kit problems...