Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

leveling kit??

Old 11-11-2013, 03:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stagedtrip

Buy some take off coils either 18/59s or 19/60s (19/60s kinda hard to find) and some Rubicon take off shocks. Should be 120 bucks or less, throw em on and 33s will be fine. If you want 34 or 35s trim the fenders and you'll be set. That's my set up, was very cheap and does amazing wheeling
Thanks for the help, sounds like a good idea ill start looking great looking Rig btw
Old 11-12-2013, 01:49 AM
JK Junkie

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Duncan
I do get some rub but only under extreme articulation. Wheel backspacing plays a good role weather or not you'll clear. In my opinion a 34" tall tire fits a 2" lift perfect. I debated 33 or 35 for along time and came to the conclusion that a 33, to me dosnt look big enough and a 35 kill's power so much so I just split the difference. And with this particular tire is only 54 lb's per tire were stock is 44lb's a mud terrain can be upwards of 80 to 90 lb's which has a lot to do with people's power loss. The power loss was not significant and I realize the difference between the tire sizes is minimal but im ocd on things looking right. Sorry to rant.
duncan
Just to comment on this, depends on what "33" your using, my cooper st maxx 285's measure at 33". 11.67 width, your 295 nittos measure 33.19, you wont even see that height difference. the 295s are over 12" wide, this will have a negative impact on your milage, power etc. my tires weigh in at 61 lbs which is not that bad either.

There are alot of supposedly 33" tires that measure in 32.6 in range, but some are true to size.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:17 AM
JK Newbie

Im running 285/75/17 H33.86" and W11.30" at 54lbs. Looks big, light weight, and performs well thus far. I would have loved to go with a trail grappler instead of the terra. But road noise and the additional 10+ lbs per tire over the terra along with added rolling resistance was a no brainer for us since this isnt our wheelin ride. Alot of guys dont care about the specifics but like I said Im OCD.

Back to the original question yes you can run 34'' and even some 35'' with no problems with the 2". Just pay attention to your wheel backspacing. If you push the tire out to far you will have some clearance issues. If I could do it over again for optimum wheelin purposes I would regear, go with flat fenders, and 37's along with my 2" lift. Cheapest method for big results.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:28 AM
JK Junkie

Im running 285/75/17 H33.86" and W11.30" at 54lbs. Looks big, light weight, and performs well thus far. I would have loved to go with a trail grappler instead of the terra. But road noise and the additional 10+ lbs per tire over the terra along with added rolling resistance was a no brainer for us since this isnt our wheelin ride. Alot of guys dont care about the specifics but like I said Im OCD.

Back to the original question yes you can run 34'' and even some 35'' with no problems with the 2". Just pay attention to your wheel backspacing. If you push the tire out to far you will have some clearance issues. If I could do it over again for optimum wheelin purposes I would regear, go with flat fenders, and 37's along with my 2" lift. Cheapest method for big results.
thats a better size to go with anyways.

I went with the cooper because of treadwear, quality of tire ( have used many coopers in the past with nothing be great results), and overall look of the tire. I use my jeep as a daily driver with over 1000kms a week or more. 33's keep my power somewhat reasonable, gas milage, etc with keeping a bigger tire, for clearance. I run trails and overland type stuff no rocks.
Old 11-12-2013, 03:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kojack
thats a better size to go with anyways. I went with the cooper because of treadwear, quality of tire ( have used many coopers in the past with nothing be great results), and overall look of the tire. I use my jeep as a daily driver with over 1000kms a week or more. 33's keep my power somewhat reasonable, gas milage, etc with keeping a bigger tire, for clearance. I run trails and overland type stuff no rocks.
What coopers did you go with? Size?
Old 11-12-2013, 03:57 AM
JK Junkie

I am running 285/70/17 ST MAXX. I have over 70k on them and im still not at the wear bars, but not much left now. I am getting another set. They are the best tire for what I do with my jeep. Daily driver, overlanding type off roading etc. I put ALOT of Kms on my jeep and these wear great. I was slack on the rotation schedule so mine wore a little choppy but that should not be an issue with regular rotations.

These are the tires!

Click image for larger version

Name:	discoverer_st_maxx_tread.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	511001

Last edited by Kojack; 11-12-2013 at 03:59 AM.
Old 11-12-2013, 04:04 AM
JK Junkie

Here is my rig as she sits now.

Old 11-12-2013, 06:25 AM
JK Newbie

That looks good. How do you like the push bar with lights mounted there? Im back and forth on wether or not to do that set up or but some on the windshield.
Old 11-12-2013, 07:27 AM
JK Junkie

That looks good. How do you like the push bar with lights mounted there? Im back and forth on wether or not to do that set up or but some on the windshield.
Love the lights there, To much glare on the pillars. I have 55w HID in the hella 500s, I get over 1000 m of light output with them. Brightest lights I have seen or used. I am swapping to the maximus 3 front bar and light mounts as I want to change the look of my rig after 2 years. The MBRP light bar is a great unit.
Old 11-12-2013, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joefro

You can run 34s with just the leveling kit with no rub?
I have 1.75 spacers all around with front rubi springs and flat fenders on my 2 door with 315s and it works great

Quick Reply: leveling kit??