Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Leveling Kit

Old 12-21-2011, 09:00 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Leveling Kit

I have the most basic 2009 Unlimited (it came with the 16" wheels). If I go to 33" tires, will I need a leveling kit? If so, which one do you guys recommend?

Thanks!
Old 12-21-2011, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran my 08 X with 33" Duratracs without any kind of lift and I was just fine. I did get new wheels with the appropriate back spacing though. I but the Teraflex spring leveling kit on before I took it off road though. But it was fine driving around town without any lift. I think 33s and a nice leveling kit look great though, especially if you have aftermarket bumpers and armor.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:19 AM
JK Newbie

You should be fine for on road and light offroading with the stock height and 33's. Be advised as mentioned you need to watch backspacing if you are keeping stock wheels, and you will now need to consider recalibrating your speedo (AEV procal). It's a slippery slope once you get the modding bug...
Old 12-21-2011, 09:27 AM
JK Newbie

The teraflex kit will do you nice. 2" in front 1" in rear and it come with longer sway bar links. As mentioned you will be fine for around town with 33s and no lift. May have minor rubbing depending on backspacing.
Old 12-21-2011, 09:58 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the input. I am planning on getting new wheels as well - not a big fan of the stock 16's.

The wheels I'm looking at are 17x8 and 17x9 with 4.5" to 5" backspacing. Would that be sufficient?

Appreciate it!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by gluestick
It's a slippery slope once you get the modding bug...
I've had my Jeep for almost 2 years now, and I've tried to avoid it. I have the lifetime warranty, so I didn't want to jeopardize it, but I can't fight it anymore.

New speakers are going in this weekend, side steps next weekend, and new wheels and tires in January. This is going to get expensive fast.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HurricaneBob
Thanks for the input. I am planning on getting new wheels as well - not a big fan of the stock 16's.

The wheels I'm looking at are 17x8 and 17x9 with 4.5" to 5" backspacing. Would that be sufficient?

Appreciate it!
That should be perfect. I think mine are 4.5" BS
Old 12-21-2011, 12:12 PM
JK Newbie

Awesome! Thanks for the responses

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit