Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Leveling Kit? or 2.5" lift?

Old 03-10-2014, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling Kit? or 2.5" lift?

Hey guys,
I have a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited all stock right now and i want to put 18" KMC XD Monsters on it with 285/65/18 trail grapplers. Will i be able to do this with just a teraflex leveling kit or would i need to lift it?
My other question is when buying the wheels they come in -12,18, and 35mm offset. How does that all work? do i need a certain offset.
Im new to the jeep world and all this is foreign to me.. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
Old 03-10-2014, 09:55 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JBange21
Hey guys,
I have a 2010 Wrangler Unlimited all stock right now and i want to put 18" KMC XD Monsters on it with 285/65/18 trail grapplers. Will i be able to do this with just a teraflex leveling kit or would i need to lift it?
My other question is when buying the wheels they come in -12,18, and 35mm offset. How does that all work? do i need a certain offset.
Im new to the jeep world and all this is foreign to me.. Any help is appreciated. Thanks in advance!
The leveling kit will allow you to run up to a 34" tire with stock flares. With the 2.5" you can run up to 35" with stock flares. As far as offset goes, what it is simply put is the amount it push your tire away from the wheel well. If you don't have enough of it your wider tires will rub and you would need to run spacers to make up for it.
Old 03-10-2014, 11:35 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by blue project
The leveling kit will allow you to run up to a 34" tire with stock flares. With the 2.5" you can run up to 35" with stock flares. As far as offset goes, what it is simply put is the amount it push your tire away from the wheel well. If you don't have enough of it your wider tires will rub and you would need to run spacers to make up for it.
Ok cool thanks for the response. Would i need to have an offset then with the 34" tires and stock flares? or would it be clear of rubbing?
Old 03-10-2014, 12:09 PM
JK Super Freak

The width of the tire ultimately determines what offset you need. I'm running a 285/75/17 right now (34"exact). The wheels I have are the Rugged Ridge wheel (original) with an offset. My tire are about 11.2"s wide. At full flex I broke fender clips with my leveling kit. Now I have the AEV 2.5" lift and no issues. I would figure out what height and width of tire you want to run and go from there. The size I have now is because the biggest I can legally go and pass inspection.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:26 PM
JK Junkie

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

if that is the biggest tire, then the teraflex leveling kit will fit the bill, also, if you the the leveling kit, the extra money can be used to buy Monroe reflex monotubes. I did this and my jeep has transformed off and on road. they are a great shock.

Quick Reply: Leveling Kit? or 2.5" lift?