Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Leveling a JK

Old 02-17-2009, 05:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling a JK

Okay... stupid question. So here goes. I put a 2.5 inch RC BB on my 2008 JK, that theoretically would level the Jeep (front spacers 2.5" and rear spacers 2.0"). Shortly after I put the BB on, I installed a Rock Hard bumper and Warn PowerPlant winch. The added weight to the front end brought the vehicle back to a nose-low attitude again. Question: What (if anything) can I do to bring the posture back up to level? Thanks.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:42 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JamieCox
Okay... stupid question. So here goes. I put a 2.5 inch RC BB on my 2008 JK, that theoretically would level the Jeep (front spacers 2.5" and rear spacers 2.0"). Shortly after I put the BB on, I installed a Rock Hard bumper and Warn PowerPlant winch. The added weight to the front end brought the vehicle back to a nose-low attitude again. Question: What (if anything) can I do to bring the posture back up to level? Thanks.
It really is as easy as adding bigger spacers or go to a 3 inch spring up front.
Old 02-17-2009, 05:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Which option (larger coils or larger spacers) is mechanically the best? Do larger spacers make for a "weak" point in the suspension? Suggestions for where to get the larger coils? Quadratec?
Old 02-17-2009, 06:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JamieCox
Which option (larger coils or larger spacers) is mechanically the best? Do larger spacers make for a "weak" point in the suspension? Suggestions for where to get the larger coils? Quadratec?

Call Dave at Northridge. He will actually answer the phone or return your message He is the best source for getting custom parts to address these types of issues.

Just Click the Northridge link in my sig

Good luck

EDIT. I would switch to new coils upfront. The JK coils are just a little to soft for the extra weight.
Old 02-17-2009, 06:45 PM
JK Freak

Well if ts anyhelp. I went with the coil springs. IMHO they are better then the pucks for a lift..

When you get you jeep all back to nice and level again, what will you think when you load up the back end? Then it will look like your ass is draggin.....
I preffer to keep a rake in it and load up the back with good things to eat and drink, with some recovery gear in there... Then it's nice and level....
Old 02-17-2009, 06:47 PM
JK Freak

id say the 3 inch coils are a good bet. or the acos spacers are pretty cool cuz they are adjustable!
Old 02-18-2009, 06:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks everyone for the scoop. Appreciate the advice...
Old 02-18-2009, 07:03 AM
JK Junkie

Springs are the better way to go since they are designed to handle the extra weight of the bumper. A way around this is to use TJ springs with the budget boost. It will bring you back to where you were, and usually you can pick them up for free.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

I switched from a TF 2.5 BB to the OME HD coils. I added a 3/4 spacer up front to bring it level. I would recommend the OME HD's. These are also what Dave at Northridge rec's most of the time for a 2 to 3 in lift. I won't be back in the country for about 6 weeks, or I would tell you to drive up the road and take a look at mine! I'm in Arlington.
If you add spacers to your existing spacers, that will bring it up as well. If you put in 3 inch coils up front, you may actually get close to 4 inches and be riding nose high. So its really hit or miss.
Old 02-18-2009, 05:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sweet setup, Planman.

Quick Reply: Leveling a JK