Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Leveling front coil springs or spacers?

Old 02-04-2013, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leveling front coil springs or spacers?

I know this gets asked a lot, but can't find anything that recommends one over the other. I am installing a new full width bumper and winch and really don't want the front to sag. I am looking at 1" lift coil springs or coil spacers and don't mind paying for the springs if there is an advantage. Also, if I install either will I need to extend the bump stops; which I haven't found for 1" spacers or springs.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 05:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Casper2013
I know this gets asked a lot, but can't find anything that recommends one over the other. I am installing a new full width bumper and winch and really don't want the front to sag. I am looking at 1" lift coil springs or coil spacers and don't mind paying for the springs if there is an advantage. Also, if I install either will I need to extend the bump stops; which I haven't found for 1" spacers or springs.

Thanks
For only an inch of lift, you won't need to lengthen your bump stops. I'd suggest getting .5"-1" spacers. Save the coil change for if and when you want to go with a full lift.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by k0260
For only an inch of lift, you won't need to lengthen your bump stops. I'd suggest getting .5"-1" spacers. Save the coil change for if and when you want to go with a full lift.

Thanks- that's exactly what I needed to know.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:35 PM
JK Jedi

Thanks- that's exactly what I needed to know.
Sure thing. The first JK lift I ever had was a 1.75" spacer lift. Spacers avre very easy to install and require nothing else part wise to work just fine. Also maintains the factory smooth ride.
Old 02-04-2013, 05:37 PM
JK Junkie

You can even install heavier spring rate coil springs from a 4 dr and would raise up as well.
Old 02-04-2013, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 83 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by catahoula
You can even install heavier spring rate coil springs from a 4 dr and would raise up as well.
Yeppers...
Old 02-04-2013, 06:54 PM
JK Super Freak

If you're not looking for any lift and just a return to stock stance I'd go for 2" worth of pucks up front. Full width bumpers with winches can weigh 200lbs, 1" of pucks won't cut it.
Old 02-04-2013, 08:35 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tripletsi
If you're not looking for any lift and just a return to stock stance I'd go for 2" worth of pucks up front. Full width bumpers with winches can weigh 200lbs, 1" of pucks won't cut it.

I went ahead and measured the stock height and will re-measure once I get the bumper and winch installed; the difference should coincide with the size spacer I need, correct?

Also, if I go 2" I get into bump stops, shock ext. ect.....right? If that's the case I will probably just go with a budget boost or leveling kit. My two little ones can barely get it in now, so not looking to add bigger tires for a while.

Thanks
Old 02-04-2013, 09:43 PM
JK Super Freak

I went ahead and measured the stock height and will re-measure once I get the bumper and winch installed; the difference should coincide with the size spacer I need, correct?

Also, if I go 2" I get into bump stops, shock ext. ect.....right? If that's the case I will probably just go with a budget boost or leveling kit. My two little ones can barely get it in now, so not looking to add bigger tires for a while.

Thanks
Yes you are correct, the rubber will also settle in but maybe just an 1/8". No you won't need bump stops or shock extensions, your factory ones will work just fine. My JKU dropped 1/2" with a lightweight bumper, and another 1" with winch and steel mounting plates (an fyi).

Quick Reply: Leveling front coil springs or spacers?