Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Let's talk Drive Shafts

Old 04-07-2012, 04:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Let's talk Drive Shafts

Found lots of good threads this morning on drive shafts and wanted to post up for some more info.

I won't be buying a new shaft right now, but am planning my next step after the lift is done.

I know that the biggest thing to look for is Spicer joints. I' believe that a 1310 shaft will fit most applications.

Question: I watched a Teraflex service video and they stated (and demonstrated) that you'd need to remove the shafts in order to catch all 5 of the grease fittings (I believe they were working on a front shaft, not sure how many are on the rear). Since the shaft needs to be greased every 3k miles, are you all removing and reinstalling your shafts that often?

Next, I see some of the companies are making them to custom lengths based on measurements you provide, but others seem to be "off the shelf". I'd imagine a custom length would yield the best results, so how do shafts (say Teraflex) know they will be the correct length for the application?

Last one, if a shaft is bought based on a specific length/lift/tire size, and then it changes, would a new shaft be required to get "correct" again? (meaning, if I buy based on 3" and 35s and go to 37s, will I still have the "right" shafts?

Cheers.
Old 04-07-2012, 06:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

im running a rk 3.5" lift with 37" tires and stock shafts if that helps
Old 04-07-2012, 06:10 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am still running stock shafts on my 2-door with a TF 3" lift that yielded 4" of lift. I don't off-road a lot though. I also checked at full articulation and with my pinion angle as it is, there was no contact with the CV boot. I think I will run them until failure.

Have you look at shafts with sealed bearings? I think Coast has sealed bearings and Spicer joints. Coast is highly recommended by guys on here. When I went looking at ORW for recommendations Coast was their first choice.
Old 04-07-2012, 11:11 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running a 4" Rough country X series lift, 35's, and do not have any drive shaft issues. Pretty much play in the sand at Silver lake.

Quick Reply: Let's talk Drive Shafts