Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Let's Talk Cold Air Intakes 3.6L

Old 11-15-2019, 07:21 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
Default Let's Talk Cold Air Intakes 3.6L

I think we all can agree that cold air intakes are debatable on performance gains, fuel savings, etc.

I guess it's the gear head in me that wants to install one on my 2015 3.6L, yes they sound good when going through the gears and look impressive under the hood.

Lets' here some real world use opinions on Performance, Fuel Savings, and Off-Road Use, set GO!
Old 11-15-2019, 09:02 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,933 Likes on 1,692 Posts

I've had friends that had em before.....and I've had em before on past vehicles. Said friends no longer have em. For me it's a big NO. Outside of the sound, I do not believe they add much performance, and on a vehicle that is seeing a ton of dust and moisture/water.....I don't care for one. I've stuck with the stock box and paper filter that is easily changed. I also know from past experience, I'm probably not diligent cleaning a K&N filter near as much should be on a 100% on road vehicle. Seems like a bad idea for me to have one on an offroad vehicle.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:31 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by resharp001
I've had friends that had em before.....and I've had em before on past vehicles. Said friends no longer have em. For me it's a big NO. Outside of the sound, I do not believe they add much performance, and on a vehicle that is seeing a ton of dust and moisture/water.....I don't care for one. I've stuck with the stock box and paper filter that is easily changed. I also know from past experience, I'm probably not diligent cleaning a K&N filter near as much should be on a 100% on road vehicle. Seems like a bad idea for me to have one on an offroad vehicle.
Yeah I agree for normal driving which most of do that performance would be minimal. I also had the concern for off-road, some days our dust is pretty bad. I'm currently using the stock air box with a K&N oiled drop in filter. I've always like oiled filters just because of my years of riding dirt bikes. Some companies have different filter options that offer multi layers for off-road use. I believe if you were keeping the engine under higher rpm's and doing some hard acceleration pulls that the cold air intake could help grab that larger amount of air and flow it better for performance but no one really drives that way.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:33 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

I've got just the K&N filter on my 2016 and it works. It filters air and I get down the road. It does need extra cleaning if we hit dusty trails but for the daily driver, it works just fine. I haven't noticed any extra sound and maybe a slight, itty, bitty smidge more gas mileage, but even then it's more about how you drive. We can hit 22mpg in it if we use decent gas, drive appropriately, and stay out of the wind.
Old 11-16-2019, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

There is no performance gain, that said, the Corsa, and the Volant use the best air filter in the world.
Donaldson Power Core.
The following users liked this post:
Dirt Hammer (11-18-2019)
Old 11-16-2019, 05:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

On street application is a waste of money. On my G8, I bought 2 K&N drop ins, the reason why is.... I use one until next Oil Change and change the filter. In the mean time, I wash it and re-oil it, gives time to wick all the oil evenly. Why I bought it, servicibility and saved a bundle on Filters. The OEM Airbox are Cold Air Intakes, follow the path, 99% of the time they go outside the vehicle. Also, they are good Particle Separators, they are really good keeping the crap out.

If you are going racing.... that is a whole different ball of wax where every Horse Power count, but on the streets... a total waste of cash on a Stock Motor.

Save your pennies and spend it on some more useful.

Last edited by JEEPPIE; 11-16-2019 at 05:42 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Dirt Hammer (11-18-2019)
Old 11-18-2019, 04:51 AM
JK Enthusiast
FJOTM Winner

Originally Posted by jdinny
There is no performance gain, that said, the Corsa, and the Volant use the best air filter in the world.
Donaldson Power Core.
Yeah I'm considering a CORSA or VOLANT because of the power core filter.

Quick Reply: Let's Talk Cold Air Intakes 3.6L