Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Let's discuss putting on some headers

Old 02-28-2008, 11:36 AM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Let's discuss putting on some headers

I am going to put a custom exhaust on and I need some feedback from some veteran wrench heads on what would be the ultimate system for performance. I want to run headers and go all the way back w/under the cab muffler and maybe exit before the rear wheel. What do you think?
Old 02-28-2008, 11:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm no expert, but my first concern would be turning the pipes out before the rear wheel. When going over an obstacle how are you going to prevent the pipe from being sandwiched by the obstacle and frame?
Old 02-28-2008, 12:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pkdailey4
I am going to put a custom exhaust on and I need some feedback from some veteran wrench heads on what would be the ultimate system for performance. I want to run headers and go all the way back w/under the cab muffler and maybe exit before the rear wheel. What do you think?
Not sure about cutting the system off before the rear but you have a few cat-back systems that are pretty decent and a couple of header choices including Gibson and Banks. The headers on this engine don't really make a noticeable power difference. You'll see more from a decent cat-back exhaust system than you will when you drop the headers on. I went with the banks cat-back and the Gibson headers. Drop a Unichip or other power programmer on and you'll see a tad bit with a good exhaust header set-up. Just remember this engine is out of a Chrysler minivan......not really built for performance, and not a whole lot of bolt on power other than a SC. As the saying goes “There’s no replacement for Displacement”
Old 02-28-2008, 01:26 PM
JK Freak

I don't really see why coming out before the rear tires would be exposing them to damage more so than in the back where it is now. Even being high centered is not much of a threat being tucked up close to the pinch seam before the back wheel. It would be like you'd have to be sliding on a block of cement to get back in there. Or it would have to be sticking out pretty good to get caught on something from the side. There are some sliders out there that would accommodate making a hole through to exit the pipe and have it stick out an inch or so. Or do I have an over active imagination ? What's your thoughts ?

Last edited by pkdailey4; 02-28-2008 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 02:44 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by pkdailey4
I don't really see why coming out before the rear tires would be exposing them to damage more so than in the back where it is now. Even being high centered is not much of a threat being tucked up close to the pinch seam before the back wheel. It would be like you'd have to be sliding on a block of cement to get back in there. Or it would have to be sticking out pretty good to get caught on something from the side. There are some sliders out there that would accommodate making a hole through to exit the pipe and have it stick out an inch or so. Or do I have an over active imagination ? What's your thoughts ?
Out the side I wouldn't see much of a problem I guess I'm just not following how you're going to turn the pipe out before the tire in a way that would be out of harms way in a potential hi-center type situation
Old 02-28-2008, 03:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'm going out with my exhaust before the rear axle as well; i've already made my custom elbows for an over the frame and out through the rocker guard. THis way you will be out of harms way, the exhaust tip will be flush with the rocker guard. There will require some internal body modifications though but with no problem!

Last edited by wayoflife; 03-03-2008 at 12:47 PM. Reason: black listed manufacturer
Old 02-28-2008, 03:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

i learned the hard way how long a $60 stainless steel tip lasts on the trail! hard lesson learned! never again.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:56 PM
JK Freak

Your not supposed to mention that company's name, they've been banned but that's exactly what I was thinking
Old 02-28-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

I had a custom exhaust on my 95YJ and had it dump before the rear axle..It was a mean sound'n freeflow'n system..Unfortunately the "Fuz" thought it was bada$$ too and just had to pull me over.. He noticed that it didn't exit the rear of the vehicle which is a "no no" in the state of MD. So if your state is cool unlike mine..then yeah go with the output before the rear wheels.
Old 02-28-2008, 05:26 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TYCOON12
The headers on this engine don't really make a noticeable power difference. You'll see more from a decent cat-back exhaust system than you will when you drop the headers on.
That's what I think. The stock ones don't look as restrictive as most factory ones I've seen on other vehicles.

I'd still like to see some dyno sheets though.

Quick Reply: Let's discuss putting on some headers