Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Legato Exhaust

Old 11-24-2016, 03:50 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dbrisson
Yes chat was worthless, no damage from shipping. They are rusting from the inside out. No emails for 3 weeks

Update; finally did get a returned email this evening saying shipping soon. We will see how long that takes

It's still over a month and 3 weeks no response
When I originally contacted Legato last JUNE, I asked if they had the new and improved system with modified hangers. I was told they would be in by the end of June. The systems did not arrive till Aug. As with everything these days, the exhaust is made in China. Their delay to make things right for you may be related to their inventory in CA. Based on my experience, I'm sure you will get a replacement. I'm like you and want my "stuff" fixed sooner than later as I am also a "I'll do it myself" person. Delays without explanation are super frustrating! Hang in there.
Old 12-29-2016, 10:01 AM
JK Newbie

I just had the Legato exhaust installed on my 2012 JK. I have a buddy that has a shop do the install. It is certainly not the easy bolt on in 15 minutes like presented on their website. The shop ended up using one of my original hangers and it took some other retrofitting as the tips were touching the rear bumper. The install did require some welding as well. I am very happy with the system thus far as they look great and the sound is very nice. Now, we will have to see how the system holds up. I did keep my original exhaust just in case. Here is link to the finished product.

https://www.facebook.com/dave.shirli...type=3&theater
Old 12-29-2016, 11:14 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by WNCDave
I just had the Legato exhaust installed on my 2012 JK. I have a buddy that has a shop do the install. It is certainly not the easy bolt on in 15 minutes like presented on their website. The shop ended up using one of my original hangers and it took some other retrofitting as the tips were touching the rear bumper. The install did require some welding as well. I am very happy with the system thus far as they look great and the sound is very nice. Now, we will have to see how the system holds up. I did keep my original exhaust just in case. Here is link to the finished product.

https://www.facebook.com/dave.shirli...type=3&theater
You didn't check my input regarding dity installation on the Legato website. Reusing the hangers adds hours. I know cause I tried to reuse them. Investing $10 for a new set of Mopar exhaust hangers makes the job much faster. It took me about 90 minutes to remove the oem exhaust and install the Legato. The old hangers were cut off and the new ones slipped right on. I cannot imagine what retrofitting was necessary; welding the socalled "keeper" (star washers) could have been eliminated by using mini-hose clamps. If the tips were touching the bumper initially, I would guess that the hangers were too short. Bottom line is that I trust you are satisfied with the look and sound, but I would be inclined to check with another buddy to do any more installs. ;>) He didn't charge you, did he?
BTW, my system and my son's are both good as new with no complaints. I'm sure yours will be the same.

Last edited by CAPT Mike; 12-29-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: error
Old 12-29-2016, 02:36 PM
JK Newbie

Hi Mike, I am not sure of the issues that Joe had. He's a pretty savvy guy so the install wasn't bad. It just was a bit more work than anticipated. I think initially the tips were too close to the bumper and then the passenger side actually was a bit lower so he had to work with it. Joe's a perfectionist though so perhaps he put more into than necessary. I am extremely pleased with the end result. The factory exhaust looks like you've kidnapped the Tin man and jammed him up under the Jeep. The looks are much cleaner as you have been visibility to the differential and the tips look great. I really love the sound. Overall, for the money, you can't beat the Legato and I'd certainly recommend the system.

Cheers! Dave
Old 12-29-2016, 06:10 PM
JK Newbie

I don't usually trust sound from my computer, but I really liked the videos I've seen/heard. I really am not a fan of how quiet the stock system is on my 2010 (nor on our 2016)... So last week I decided that I needed a Christmas present for me. So I ordered a Legato system. Had is been more $$$, I doubt I would have... but the price point is very good, the sound seems good.
Lucky for me, I've got a good friend that has a hoist/lift and will install it in no time. I can do it, but finding the time with my new job has been difficult. According to FedX, arriving on Saturday (we shall see)

Can't wait.
Old 12-30-2016, 04:46 AM
JK Newbie

Yes, the price point with the $299 sale price is really good when compared to other systems which seem to run in the $500+ range. I also agree about the factory system, there is just no Um-Pah with it. Let us know how it works out.
Old 12-30-2016, 11:26 AM
JK Newbie

It did work out well, after the back order resolved I finally got a new unit.

It has the longer hangar so it sits better, but is closer to bumper than prior unit, almost right on bumper. I had to loosen and pull on pipe to get it off bumper and still very tight up.

The sound is slightly diff then the prior unit, going to just assume manufacturing difference. Original had more of growl at high throttle, this one has audible whistle tone with the growl. NO leaks found though

The tips are much better, as if the rolled seams are different.

I would still highly recommend,

a price point, much better price than 450$- 550$ as other brands

b solid muffler construction, that muffler isn't rusting or going anyway anytime soon, fits nicely and again super solid.

c customer service is very good, even though i complained about the wait, they could have said no.

d Great great sound, not too much, not too little, no absolutely ZERO drone or negative cabin noises

DB 2015 Rubicon 35 on a 2.5 Teraflex
Old 01-06-2017, 12:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

A few people have mentioned how close this sits to the rear bumper. Would it be problematic for a stock plastic bumper?
Old 01-06-2017, 01:12 PM
JK Newbie

I have the stock plastic bumper and it poses no issue. It may contact the metal behind it but the angle is steep enough not to hit plastic or melt anything.

The new unit is holding up great
Old 01-06-2017, 05:10 PM
JK Newbie

Default Installed

I got mine installed today
I really like the look of it. I love to hear it idle.
BUT while it doesn't have drone characteristics.... it is much louder than I expected it to be
Not obnoxious but you know it's running

Quick Reply: Legato Exhaust