Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Which LED Headlights?

Old 01-12-2015, 06:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hella E Code

Originally Posted by sam30540
I'm gonna go against the popular vote here. I switched from hella e code lamps with the Susquehanna motorsports harness to the trucklights and the light output of the LEDs sucked in comparison. I've switched back since then and can see again

Are you getting any flickering at all with this setup? I am and sometimes it does it more than others.
Old 01-12-2015, 12:50 PM
JK Junkie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by cormac827
The kc resembles the trucklites more than he speaker. Look at this cutoff line http://youtu.be/8AR2XHtrTyw
In fact, the KC light spread is more even than the JW.
Both the KC and JW share a hotspot at the center, part of which is above the cutoff line.

Rest assured that I don’t try to persuade you into getting one light or the other. I’m pointing to facts, based on knowing a thing or two about lighting and about perception. The facts which I point to are clearly visible in the video, so they’re objective.

Excellent video, because JWSpeaker show light patterns as-is, no tricks to improve.
They even brag about a built-in fault (Min. 8:56) -- the thick rim of changing light color... red to yellow to white to blue…

Look at this cutoff line
OK, let’s look at it, say, Min. 8:30 and on.
I see a very prominent hotspot, part of which bulges above the cutoff line. Am I the only one who sees it?
For the driver who’s going towards you, you have to aim the lights lower than you would with TLs.

There's a subconscious perception phenomenon, which makes us focus on a bright hotspot.
A 'for instance' case, would be a long, straight section of a dark road.
Focusing on a hotspot reduces from the drivers' perception of the periphery.
A bright hotspot also reduces night vision.

I also see (around Min. 8:30), five dark “fingers” from near to far. That’s not even close to an even light pattern.

Now, I think the new evo 2
look awesome and have My favorite light spread.

There are a bunch of other videos that will compare the evo 2 to the trucklite.

If you happy with truck lite output and pattern buy those! So much info out there it's nice to be able to make decisions after watching reviews and comparison. If you claim they are better than jw speaker I just would have to disagree!
I really don’t mind disagreeing. If you like the JW, get it and enjoy. It’s not ‘that’ bad…

I pointed to facts that many people do not notice.
(e.g.: Most people complain about the stock lights being too weak, but don’t say a word about the large bright and dark areas all over the light spread.)

Maybe you saw an older generation jw speaker?
No, Sir. I I’ve just referred to the video you posted.
In the new model, they added spread width, on account of accentuating the hotspot and the “5 dark fingers” even more.

You’ll see that, with further optical evolution of LED headlights, the JW concept of simultaneous use of 3 sub-lights will be dropped.
Yet more headlights will copy the TL design concept, or use a large number of LEDs with individual reflectors (or one multi-faceted reflector). We may also see complex optical lens designs.

Last edited by GJeep; 01-13-2015 at 11:08 AM.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:12 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Buy what you want certainly.
However, I haven't been flashed for my lights yet, and I can see the hotspot when I'm driving. It's just in front of me, instead of in oncoming traffic.
Here's a shot in fog showing that the beams converge.
Click image for larger version

Name:	20150112_030058.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	35.0 KB
ID:	591978

Quick Reply: Which LED Headlights?