Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LED Headlight Conversions...lack of heat concern

Old 03-19-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

(I have the TruckLite Phase 7) The efficiency of the LED headlamp is definitely a drawback in wet snow, as others have confirmed. It doesn't take much to block some light output as well as scatter it beyond (above) the cutoff line, but this is only in wet snow. Eventually, all light output is blocked and you gotta get out and wipe it off by hand. Dry snow sluffs right off. There's just not enough heat output to melt anything on the lens, even with high beams on.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Jiblet
I think some vendors are offering the mil spec (heated lens, 24v) trucklites adapted to the h13 or h4 connections.

Offroad Elements, if I remember correctly.

I gave these a try. I will say that yes, the heated lens works awesome. I had them for a short time and was able to see how they work in two mega storms we had around the Boston area. However, I returned them due to very inconsistent light output. There were significant dark spots throughout the light pattern with one being just left of the center spot where the two beams cross. Very disctracting. When compared to the regular Truck Lites, there are small enough differences in the lens which must be casuing the issues. The V shapes you would get at the center beams with the regular ones are actualy sqaures with the heated ones. Something is different...

I live minutes from Eric at Off-Road Elements and showed him the issues and we tried correcting it but we couldn't. He had them installed on his Jeep too but he had other issues due to his stinger that caused dead spots in the output so it was tough to tell if it was just the one set I had or if it was a bigger issue. As of today, I don't think he's had complaints from people who bought them but I believe he has them on hold until he can confirm that it was just my set were defective in some way. If you check his website, they are listed but not currently available.

Rather than deal with trying a different set, or trying the regular Truck Lites, I decided to try the JW Speakers which he had at his place. After seeing those in person, there was no way I could go back to Truck Lites. The light ouput is amazing and very consistent.

Eric told me that when he ran the non heated Truck Lites, he used Rain X on them which kept most ice and snow from building up on them. I haven't done that with my JW's yet as the weather, while cold, hasn't dumped any snow on us to see how they work in those conditions.
Old 03-19-2014, 09:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my led pods had a awful time in the michigan winter with ice snow and slush thank god for my ipf swapped headlights and hid swapped hella 500's

Quick Reply: LED Headlight Conversions...lack of heat concern