Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LED headlight conversion KIT?

Old 10-28-2014, 12:22 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I honestly have no idea what I'm talking about with the new jeeps but it seems every where I have read all say the same thing that is you don't upgrade the housing when using LED lights then you need to bring fire extinguishers because it will melt the housing and so on.. can anyone say if this is true or false? I hate my stock headlights and want LEDs
Old 10-28-2014, 12:53 PM
JK Freak

I had a talk with a guy that sells led lights and he clearly stated he wouldn't sell an led replacement bulb. The led gets way too hot to be in the stock housing.
Old 10-28-2014, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pontiac31
I had a talk with a guy that sells led lights and he clearly stated he wouldn't sell an led replacement bulb. The led gets way too hot to be in the stock housing.
Ok thanks any suggestions on what would be best without spending $500 or is that the only way without burning my jeep down ?
Old 10-28-2014, 01:18 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm...interesting. The concerns I've heard about the housing is all about focusing the light as to not blind oncoming drivers.

I can only speak from my experience, and in the year I have been running them I haven't had a problem. However, mine do have cooling fans attached to them. YMMV.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:47 PM
JK Newbie

80 percent of my driving is at night so I like bright headlights. But I'm open to other lighting solutions if anyone has any ideas.
Old 10-28-2014, 02:58 PM
JK Freak

14sport , where are you located? I was told the cooling fans help to an extent. The issue is the fan is outside the housing and the bulb is inside. Where it becomes a concern is when the fan gets wet, or gets salt from roads, and then quits working.

I also drive a lot at night, but mostly in the country so I use four old school kc daylighters.

I also am not an expert on other forms of lighting, so cant really offer any recommendations beyond what I use.
Old 10-28-2014, 03:25 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by pontiac31
14sport , where are you located? I was told the cooling fans help to an extent. The issue is the fan is outside the housing and the bulb is inside. Where it becomes a concern is when the fan gets wet, or gets salt from roads, and then quits working.
I'm in southern Florida. You want to talk about wet, we have high humidity always and torrential downpours highlighted by hurricanes, yes, HURRICANES. I live in a coastal town (Gulf) so salt is always in the air, but the roads aren't salted. We have not had a hurricane since my install but I think the hood is pretty good protection. At least it has worked during torrential downpours. As far as the fan being outside the housings, I have read many complaints from Northerners about the LEDs not melting the snow on the headlights so I don't think the heat is being generated inside the housing. But I wouldn't know. I hate snow.

I have no skin in this game. I am simply relating my experience. I would never recommend someone do something that they are uncomfortable with. Read everything you can find. Weigh the evidence. And make a decision based on your best guess.

Quick Reply: LED headlight conversion KIT?