Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LED headlight conversion KIT?

Old 07-21-2014, 12:41 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

one problem I have with led headlights is that in my experience with leds ( led bars and such) the light from an led doesn't cut fog or dust at all, it actually bounces back at you more than anything. I know LED headlights are a different animal with the projectors and what not but that was why I just went with what I knew worked good for sure.
Old 07-21-2014, 01:17 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Baddkarmaracing
one problem I have with led headlights is that in my experience with leds ( led bars and such) the light from an led doesn't cut fog or dust at all, it actually bounces back at you more than anything. I know LED headlights are a different animal with the projectors and what not but that was why I just went with what I knew worked good for sure.
This is true, however you can add yellow tint to light bars etc to make them do just what you want. It's merely a change in light color. Yellow cuts through fog and dust, white reflects. You can get rolls of non permanent transparent vinyl for cheap and cut to fit. No biggy to do. I actually have a precut 51x2 inch strip for my light bar just in case I need it.
Old 07-21-2014, 03:49 PM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I went with these.

Lifetime LED H13 LED Wrangler Replacement Headlight Bulbs LLL_H13 (07-14 Wrangler JK) - Free Shipping

They are very bright and I had to dial them down quite a bit to keep from blinding oncoming traffic. The high beams are just wider than the low beams rather than further but with their brightness, I don't think I will ever be using them.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

14 sport are you happy with them. I am about to do some lighting upgrades and I was gonna do the truck lights. But this seems much more cost effective.
Old 07-21-2014, 05:16 PM
JK Junkie

Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Headlights 008 (Small).jpg
Views:	222
Size:	28.0 KB
ID:	566739Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Headlights 001 (Small).jpg
Views:	204
Size:	34.8 KB
ID:	566736Click image for larger version

Name:	LED HL.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	566740Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Headlights 003 (Small).jpg
Views:	189
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	566737Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Headlights 006 (Small).jpg
Views:	203
Size:	40.8 KB
ID:	566738
Originally Posted by OilField_Trash
14 sport are you happy with them. I am about to do some lighting upgrades and I was gonna do the truck lights. But this seems much more cost effective.
I'm very happy with them. There are those who say you can't put a LED in a stock housing because it could blind people but I think if you adjust them properly this is not an issue. I do not get flashed by oncoming traffic, they are WAY brighter than the stocks, and they are DOT compliant. Therefore, I have no regrets.

Last edited by 14Sport; 07-21-2014 at 05:52 PM.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

What'd you use to 'dial them down'? Do ya mean you aimed them lower or used a resistor/relay? Just curious, like the look.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:19 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by HighRoad
What'd you use to 'dial them down'? Do ya mean you aimed them lower or used a resistor/relay? Just curious, like the look.
Aimed them lower. If you look at the third pic, which is right after install and before adjustment, they are WAY high. My wife's Sahara on the right was a lot lower. I cranked the screws using my wife's light pattern as a guide. Even though mine is lifted, I still brought them down to her level. In FL they only have to be 3" lower than the center height of the lamps at 25'. Which means lifted vehicles can be more blinding than non-lifted vehicles. Some states you can't do that. Since I travel state-to-state sometimes, I just brought mine down to hers. That's plenty of light for me.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 PM
JK Enthusiast

Gotcha, thanks. Definitely a bit higher compared to stock height.
Old 07-22-2014, 02:18 PM
JK Newbie

Sounds good man. Do they have a high beam and low beam?
Old 07-22-2014, 02:30 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by OilField_Trash
Sounds good man. Do they have a high beam and low beam?
They do but the high beam only seems to spread the field rather than raise it. Although I haven't tested them since I lowered them. As I said earlier, with these I have had no reason to use the highs. But I live in a city. If you live where there are no streetlights you may need more distance than me. I do have lights on my windshield and bumper for off road. But for on road, for me, these are 1000 percent better than stock. And affordable. YMMV

Quick Reply: LED headlight conversion KIT?