Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

LED headlight conversion KIT?

Old 07-20-2014, 07:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LED headlight conversion KIT?

Has anyone looked into any other type of LED conversion kit other than truck light?

I found a conversion kit from a local supplier and thought I would try it out. for 160.00 versus 500 or 399 (when on sale) for truck lights I thought I would give them a try.
They replace my stock bulbs and were a good fit into the lens.

I have had them in my JK for a week or so now and they are bright as hell!! now I see why everyone raved about the truck lights!!!! LED's ARE BRIGHT

SO here are some before and after pics.

Post up if you found anything like this. I was kinda unsure how they would work out due to cost. but seem to be working just fine so far.

I would really like to find a set of truck lights and put them side by side. I think the truck lights will be brighter. but its hard for me to cough up the 150 more for them. Only time will tell how long they last.

First pic is Low beam stock, Second is high beam stock, Third is Low beam LED.Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0229.JPG
Views:	681
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	566581Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0230.JPG
Views:	582
Size:	74.9 KB
ID:	566582Click image for larger version

Name:	GOPR0231.JPG
Views:	570
Size:	65.4 KB
ID:	566583
Old 07-20-2014, 08:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Those look like they throw light up too high, maybe blinding other drivers. Or is the picture playing tricks?
Old 07-21-2014, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

x2 Are they DOT?
Old 07-21-2014, 04:48 AM
JK Super Freak

I did LED's that are not trucklite and I didn't spend $399 or $500. Nope, I went with JW Speakers.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:32 AM
JK Junkie

I went with the best headlight upgrade out there. Retrofitted projectors with true HIDs. Can't be beat. Customized to your liking and style. And runs around $480 ready to install from retrofit source. New housing and everything.
Old 07-21-2014, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by DunnyBunny
I went with the best headlight upgrade out there. Retrofitted projectors with true HIDs. Can't be beat. Customized to your liking and style. And runs around $480 ready to install from retrofit source. New housing and everything.
I did the same thing, theretrofitstource.com sealed7 housings with ballasts bulbs harness and led halos.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:03 AM
JK Super Freak

How hard/involved is it to install those? I read a bunch of threads a few years ago where people were doing HID retrofits but the labor was quite intensive. Is it easier now?

And I think the OP was asking about other ways of doing LED lights, not HID. Most of the LED lights I've seen have been the name brand stuff like TruckLite and JW Speaker (and KC now has some decent ones). If there is an easier/cheaper way to get low draw LED light installed, I'm sure people would want to know.
Old 07-21-2014, 07:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bonanza
Those look like they throw light up too high, maybe blinding other drivers. Or is the picture playing tricks?
I had to adjust the light downward some. I had my wife drive at me with them on and adjusted until they did not burn holes in your retina.

Originally Posted by Mschneid
x2 Are they DOT?
Old 07-21-2014, 07:08 AM
JK Freak

The labor is not bad at all if you get the sealed7 kit, the projector comes bolted in, you select the shroud you want to use and paint it how you want it and then a little trimming on the shroud a little epoxy to hold it in, and put the lense on with windshield butyl and bake it a little to make it seal up real good. Took me about 4 hours including sanding painting and waiting for everything to dry
Old 07-21-2014, 07:15 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by mpkelley20
How hard/involved is it to install those? I read a bunch of threads a few years ago where people were doing HID retrofits but the labor was quite intensive. Is it easier now? And I think the OP was asking about other ways of doing LED lights, not HID. Most of the LED lights I've seen have been the name brand stuff like TruckLite and JW Speaker (and KC now has some decent ones). If there is an easier/cheaper way to get low draw LED light installed, I'm sure people would want to know.
It's not too difficult if you use the stock housing. But theretrofit source makes a new sealed 7 housing that has everything already put together except the shroud and the lens. Both of which are super easy to put on. Or you can just he that setup and tell them exactly how you want if and they can put it together and ship it to you ready to install. Hardest part is installing the ballasts and harness under the hood.

But your right and I'll get back on track the problem with just doing LED bulbs is similar to the problem with doing an HID kit in stock housings. While you might have better light, you can still get poor beam patterns, scattered light, and blind oncoming drivers. That's why I think if you want to go led or hid then it's best to do it properly do projectors or find find a housing made for HIDs to get the correct beam pattern and not blind people. And for led then go with one of the companies like trucklite, or JW or KC that have properly designed housings for LEDs.

Btw I've ran trucklites also before my retrofit that I have now and loved them. I just love my retrofit a little more. Lol

Quick Reply: LED headlight conversion KIT?