Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Leave it open or atleast a tru trac?

Old 04-18-2012, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leave it open or atleast a tru trac?

I have an 07 jku x I plan on doin a 3.5 or 4 " lift and running 35s ,I will be running a detroit locker in the rear with 4.88s and was wondering if I should just find a open carrier and regear the front or get a true trac lsd for the front . I live in colorado and dont plan on doin heavy rock crawling but some of the trails I wheel have areas with medium type rock crawling and even on these trails with my 93 yj I have got front tires of the ground. The jku is mostly daily driver and will be wheeled one weekend a month if that. I have heard alot of people say the tru trac is not good in situations with a wheel off the ground but is it really worse than having an open diff.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

I have ran the Tru-Trac (not in my JK though) and honestly if it wasn't in the axle when I purchased it wouldn't waste my money on it. It worked "ok" at best... under extreme conditions it would still function as somewhat of an "open' differential. IF this is your daily driver I would go with a selectable locker (ARB would be my purchase). Since you're already going to be regearing your only extra cost is the locker, and mini compressor... You'd be happier in the long run IMO...

Last edited by UNCC CivilEngineer; 04-18-2012 at 05:57 PM.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:53 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Try a quick search. The truetrac is a very popular traction device, with lots of threads and some great feedback. (title only search on truetrac in just the modified area showed 7 pages with over 300 individual threads with truetrac in the title...)

For hardcore offroad, a locker is obviously the better option. But then you need to think about a grand for a selectable, vs. $350 for a truetrac. Stress of a locker in a d30, vs. stress of a limited in a d30. Winter weather handling (if applicable) of an auto-locker, vs a limited. Always on of an auto-locker, vs a little brake pressure to get the truetrac 'locked' up.

A pair of truetracs is a good combo for the less hard-core folks, and a front truetrac / rear detroit combo is great for those who want a bit more but don't want to lock a 30. If you are not planning on swapping the 30 for something beefier, go for it. If you are looking at 44's/60's, then leave it open.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:59 PM
JK Junkie

I have TrueTracs front and rear and they made my Jeep much more capable. Regrettably, though, I don't live in CO and my wheeling doesn't usually include a wheel in the air.

As I see it, if you were into a lot of that, you probably would have bought a Rubicon and already have lockers. If you lock your D30 and do a lot of hard rock crawling you're going to break it. Don't spend much on it and upgrade it when it breaks. If you're not going to be too rough on it, TrueTrac.

Just be honest with yourself how you're going to use it.

Quick Reply: Leave it open or atleast a tru trac?