Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

leaning jk

Old 04-04-2009, 06:58 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by seer1
Crikey! Mine was leaning 1 9/16" lower on the passenger side, tank full or empty. My springs under load were measuring axle to body less than 1/4" different. The frame was about 3/8" different. I finally went with the JKS ACOS setup then replaced the shocks for longer travel to level it as it was driving me nuts. I still haven't figured out why it would lean so far to the right. And no, Limbaugh has never been allowed on my radio.
Did you add the 9/16 in on both the right front and rear? The strangest thing for me is that it appears to be less in the rear...
Old 04-04-2009, 08:18 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by norcalJK
we actually put my buddy who owns the jeep in it (driver's seat) and it still leans almost .5" to the right. and this was with 1/4 tank. i think we'll just fab a .5" spacer for under the rev-tek spacer. are guys with full spring lifts (like the tera 3" or re 3.5") stil having leaning issues??
Yes i do. TF 3" lift and i have about a 1/2" lean to the right. Kinda drives me crazy, but WTF.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:54 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ManRig
Did you add the 9/16 in on both the right front and rear? The strangest thing for me is that it appears to be less in the rear...
I actually added 1 7/16 to the right side. The ACOS automatically adds 1 3/8" to the front and 2" to the back without any adjustment being made. I figured that close is good as adding gas changes it a little and adding my off roading equipment changes it more. If I don't like any of it I can jack it up, relieve the load on the spring and adjust it out a little. I have a little rake in town. When I go off pavement, I'm usually carrying a lot of stuff and it levels out quickly. I'm thinking of adding another 1/2" or so to the rear.
Old 04-05-2009, 06:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Mine too. I just don't let it bother me.
Old 05-01-2009, 09:06 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by AZJeeper
Common explanations:

• Gas Tank on right
  • Battery on right
  • Engine torques to right
  • Towing pulls to right (related to engine torque?)
  • An extremely fat person sits on right (actually saw a "virtual fistfight" in another thread on this one)
  • Driver sits on left so right lower to compensate
  • "All Jeeps just do it" (from a local offroad shop)
  • Garage tilts to right
  • Your eyeballs tilt to right
I'm in the "all Jeeps just do it" camp. My YJ leaned to right. My friend's TJ leans to right. My Rubi leans to the right. Every JK I ever checked out leans to right to some degree or another.

Here's the $1 question: how do you fix it?
My favorite from a local offroad shop, "It's a Jeep thing, I don't understand".
Old 05-01-2009, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

I have had this lean as well. I didn't notice it when stock but it really became pronounced when I installed the Rock Hard Gas tank skid plate. And even more pronounced when I replaced my stock battery with an optima battery. I've measured it and it is exactly one inch lower on the front and rear passenger sides of the vehicle. It isn't as bad when the fuel tanks almost empty but when it's full it looks bad. I really wish I could fix this. I already have 1/2 inch spacers in the front and 1" spacers in the rear on both sides. What else could I do? Would getting the REALLY heavy duty rear OME spring (620) on the passenger side help?
Old 05-01-2009, 10:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by pkess3
I have had this lean as well. I didn't notice it when stock but it really became pronounced when I installed the Rock Hard Gas tank skid plate. And even more pronounced when I replaced my stock battery with an optima battery. I've measured it and it is exactly one inch lower on the front and rear passenger sides of the vehicle. It isn't as bad when the fuel tanks almost empty but when it's full it looks bad. I really wish I could fix this. I already have 1/2 inch spacers in the front and 1" spacers in the rear on both sides. What else could I do? Would getting the REALLY heavy duty rear OME spring (620) on the passenger side help?
Mixing and matching springs seems like it would produce undesirable results. I hate to suggest stacking spacers, but maybe adding another 1/2 inch front and rear spacer on the passenger side would help. I added the OME 10mm spacers and when the tank is empty it's about 1/8 inch or so higher on the right side. Then with a full tank, it's about 1/8 or so lower on the right side. It's very dependent on the fuel level for mine. I think that's the best I can do.
Old 05-02-2009, 07:22 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by pkess3
Leave the springs alone. If it's really bad and bothering you, like mine was, go with the JKS ACOS setup.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ManRig
Mixing and matching springs seems like it would produce undesirable results. I hate to suggest stacking spacers, but maybe adding another 1/2 inch front and rear spacer on the passenger side would help.
Desert Rat Offroad told me that adding a spacer to one side would void most lift warranties. Not sure how that differs from an ACOS system, but they were adamant about it.
Old 05-03-2009, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Keep in mind a tall spring in the left rear will push the right front down. So you might want to swap the rear springs side to side as well. That's probably not the problem but I just wanted to point out you have to look at the diagonal balance as well.

Quick Reply: leaning jk