Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lead Weights vs Equal ( dry polymer tire balancer)

Old 11-26-2008, 07:53 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I asked a guy at my tire shop about these... I thought they were cool too.

He said they use them as an absolutely last resort... the beads often destroy the inside of your rims, might break down, and can screw up the valve/sensors/etc. I agree they're cool, but I guess they're not great for an everyday vehicle.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:19 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by noot
I asked a guy at my tire shop about these... I thought they were cool too.

He said they use them as an absolutely last resort... the beads often destroy the inside of your rims, might break down, and can screw up the valve/sensors/etc. I agree they're cool, but I guess they're not great for an everyday vehicle.
I'm not disagreeing with you or your tire guy, but I don't see how they would destroy the inside of the rim when the rotational forces would throw the matter outward toward the tire. I also don't know why they wouldn't be good for an everyday vehicle when they use them in tractor trailers. They put way more miles on than anyone does in their own vehicle. I could be wrong though.
Old 11-27-2008, 08:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

I had my 35's balanced with the equal stuff last year and it works great. It's not susceptiple to moisture and they don't destroy your rim. This stuff has been used in the trucking industry for years and basically it works better than weights because it's moves around to where it's needed through centrigual force and therefore keeps your tires perfectly balanced all the time. Sometimes if I crank it hard around a turn if feels like the tires are out of balance but once the material moves around (10 seconds) it smooths out and drives great. Here's a website that explains it.

http://www.imiproducts.com/equal/how-equal-works.aspx

Last edited by Robar; 11-27-2008 at 12:03 PM. Reason: PLEASE DO NOT POST DIRECT NON SPONSOR LINKS
Old 11-27-2008, 09:39 AM
JK Newbie

anyone know if the Dyna Beads or Equal will work with Staun internal beadlocks?
Old 11-27-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by chaddlane
anyone know if the Dyna Beads or Equal will work with Staun internal beadlocks?
I would think they wouldn't, but then again if you are running beadlocks then you don't need to have your tires balanced.
Old 11-28-2008, 09:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Choppus
I'm not disagreeing with you or your tire guy, but I don't see how they would destroy the inside of the rim when the rotational forces would throw the matter outward toward the tire. I also don't know why they wouldn't be good for an everyday vehicle when they use them in tractor trailers. They put way more miles on than anyone does in their own vehicle. I could be wrong though.
If you're going slow enough so the beads aren't "stuck" to the tire itself, you'd basically half a continual rainfall of beads onto the inside of the rim (I think...).

I dunno

My question is; if they work so well, why does anyone ever use traditional rim weights anymore?
Old 11-28-2008, 10:13 AM
JK Enthusiast

A few more years and none of us will have a choice. The Govt, and activists, around the country want lead weights gone for good. Bad for the environment they say. I guess they are when you look at all the lead being thrown off cars and trucks year round. As longga st these solutions you are all talking about work, i really dont care. Just as long as my tires are balanced. Thanks for the heads up on the equal, i havew to look into that.
Old 11-28-2008, 11:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sounds like a good idea for my tire swap next month.
Old 12-19-2008, 11:30 PM
Shniffer

i just had equal put in my MTZ 35's... and it seems good to me... 100 kms now and it rides smooth as a babys butt..

check out imiproducts dot com and it explains it.

I take the point of airing up and down and the moisture that can get in, but I'll play with it and see.

I dont have TPMS sensors in my new ProComp rims... but I'm just putting up with the beeps and light at the moment. I am looking into disabling it...

Last edited by Shniffer; 12-19-2008 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Newbie

I sent an e-mail to Innovative Balancing asking if Dyna Beads work with Staun Internal BeadLocks, this is the reply I sot from them:

Hi Chadd,
Yes they will, with three caveats.
First, use the Off Road beads. They are larger and more effective with those bigger tires.
Second, you will have to install the beads into the carcass before installing the beadlock system. They won't go through the valve stem opening.
Finally, make sure the tire is standing up before inflating the Staun, so the beads are all on the bottom of the tire. This way, beads won't get caught between the Staun inner tube and the rim.
We have never received a single complaint from Staun users using Dyna Beads, so I take that as a positive response.

Robert
Technical Support

Ceramic Tire Balancing
Tel-USA: 866-352-7251
Tel-Outside USA: 585-467-6028
dynabeads.com

Quick Reply: Lead Weights vs Equal ( dry polymer tire balancer)