Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Lead Weights vs Equal ( dry polymer tire balancer)

Old 11-25-2008, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have heard of the pellets but Im in favor of the lead or zinc rim weights. I had the tire shop tell me that the large tires were very difficult to balance so I took the JK to my Jeep dealer and had them do a static balance and place the weight on the side of the rim towards the vehicle and it fixed the balance problem at all speeds.
Old 11-25-2008, 03:18 PM
JK Freak

Here is a demo of how they work, looks pretty interesting.

Anyone using them?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eq263AYgyYg
Old 11-25-2008, 04:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

That is interesting, I've never heard of that.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by AZ-JK
I know several guys using the airsoft pellets and they love them. There is a formula that I cant recall right now to figure out how much to put in. I would never use equal, and if a shop put it inside my tires I would be pissed. What will moisture do to it in the long run? Why not just use product meant for that purpose. Anyway, I've thought about using the pellets in mine, but have had really good luck with balancing this set. So, havent messed with it...
Equal is made to be put in a tire for balancing, it is not the same as the sweetener of the same name. I do not think that I would put it in my Jeep tire though, because of moisture and airing down and back up.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:18 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ytee
Equal is made to be put in a tire for balancing, it is not the same as the sweetener of the same name. I do not think that I would put it in my Jeep tire though, because of moisture and airing down and back up.

They DynaBeads brand ones are available for off road tires. They are larger pellets, and they are made of ceramic so they won't rust or anything like that. Not too expensive either. I am going to be doing more research, but I like the idea.

Wheel weights are ugly, plus these never need to be re-ballanced like you would with traditional lead weights. Plus lead is not a good thing to be using anyway.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's also a disc that you place behind the wheels. It's 1/8" thick:

http://www. centramatic.com/balancer.html
Old 11-25-2008, 05:27 PM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Offroad
There's also a disc that you place behind the wheels. It's 1/8" thick:

http://www. centramatic.com/balancer.html
These WORK. A TJ Rubicon on Dana 60s f/r runs these on 35" tires and he has NO problems at all, even when mud builds on the rim and going down the highway at 65MPH.
Old 11-25-2008, 05:33 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Suffolk JK
These WORK. A TJ Rubicon on Dana 60s f/r runs these on 35" tires and he has NO problems at all, even when mud builds on the rim and going down the highway at 65MPH.
They don't make one for a stock JK with the 5 x 5 bolt pattern that will fit either the 16 or 17" rims. The stock TJ uses a different bolt pattern and Dana 60's do as well, I don't know what they make for those, but nothing for the JK that I could find.

I actually really like the idea of the beads, they are inexpensive and you are not adding something to the Jeep that could have the chance of getting broken. I could see one of those discs getting cracked on a rock.
Old 11-26-2008, 06:18 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by acelockco
They don't make one for a stock JK with the 5 x 5 bolt pattern that will fit either the 16 or 17" rims. The stock TJ uses a different bolt pattern and Dana 60's do as well, I don't know what they make for those, but nothing for the JK that I could find.

I actually really like the idea of the beads, they are inexpensive and you are not adding something to the Jeep that could have the chance of getting broken. I could see one of those discs getting cracked on a rock.

They say the 5x5 for 17-inch wheels will come out by March 09. I know, the waiting game again... Unless they receive many emails from JK owners...
Old 11-26-2008, 06:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

I used the sand bags in my old YJ. The 35 inch TSL/SX swampers were going to take a ridiculous amount of lead to balance. The sand bags worked very well. The ones I used were not designed to break open. I was somewhat worried about trapped air moisture in the tires causing the bags/water to freeze. This was not an issue.

When I get new tires, I will definitely use the sand bag route again. No lead weights to knock off when playing on the rocks!

Quick Reply: Lead Weights vs Equal ( dry polymer tire balancer)