Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Latest Jeep Mod - Back Seat Fans!

Old 03-05-2016, 07:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Latest Jeep Mod - Back Seat Fans!

OK, so I like driving my Jeep, but in the summer it is brutal for back seat passengers, mainly my two daughters. I’ve done what I can, including installing hot head headliners, which helped. I looked around for some way to get A/C to the back seat, but couldn’t find anything. So I decided to at least put a fan back there. I looked online, and found this fan on Amazon (Amazon.com: AboveTEK® Dual Head Car Auto Cooling Air Fan - Most Powerful Versatile Car Ventilation System with Kids Safe Design - Smooth and Powerful Motor and Adhesive Base to Secure the Fan to Dashboard or Arm Rest Area - 100% LIFETIME WARRANTY: Ho).

I needed power for it, so I got this 12 volt extension cable (Amazon.com: Prime Products 08-0917 12 V 25' Extension Cord: Automotive).

I didn’t know really how long I needed, but the 25 ft was just a few dollars more than the 12 ft, so I went with that one. I measured while installing, and you should be able to do this with a 12 ft. I also needed a way to attach it, so I got some heavy-duty zip ties from Lowes.

The fan is a two speed, and it blows a lot of air. The heads both swivel individually also. The fan came with two padded double stick tape strips, which are about ¼” foam. I put them on, but didn’t peel the side that attaches to the Jeep. I then wrapped the zip ties around the sound bar. I like this because if I run a bikini top (or a soft top), the fan will still work and will not be in the way. I zip tied over the overhead light, but no light is blocked. I decided to use black zip ties to make the look cleaner. I then ran the plug from the fan over the sound bar, there is a groove that makes this work perfect. I removed a piece of foam insulation from the passenger underside of the sound bar. You may be able to hollow it out, and if you use the 12 ft extension wire, you may be able to leave this foam piece there. Next I plugged the 12 volt extension wire into the 12 volt accessory plug in the dash. I like this as well, because when the Jeep turns off, the fan will turn off itself. I then routed the extension wire under the passenger seat, up the door strip to the spot I removed the foam insulation, and bundled the extra up there. Connect the two wires, and you’re finished!

Total cost was about $50.

Now my daughters (and whoever rides back there) should be able to better stand the heat of the summer in Las Vegas.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7730.jpg
Views:	355
Size:	276.6 KB
ID:	639741  
The following users liked this post:
Matthewd5 (05-29-2019)
Old 03-05-2016, 07:48 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Where's the pics of them smiling with the fans blowing their hair around
Matthewd5 (05-29-2019)
Old 03-05-2016, 07:56 PM
JK Enthusiast

I'll have to post that pic! Just installed today.
Old 03-06-2016, 05:30 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Great mod!
Old 03-06-2016, 08:58 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's a great idea! It should be easier and cleaner if you get power from the 12v outlet in the back (if you have a subwoofer option). How noisy are they?

Last edited by Evangelos k; 03-06-2016 at 09:00 AM.
Old 03-06-2016, 09:32 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Evangelos k
That's a great idea! It should be easier and cleaner if you get power from the 12v outlet in the back (if you have a subwoofer option). How noisy are they?
They are not noisy, pretty quiet. I'll have to look to see if they list a db in the specs.

I would have got the power from the rear outlet, but that one is powered directly from the battery, whereas the dash one is powered from the ignition. I wanted to do it this way so that when the Jeep turns off, the fans will turn off as well, and when the Jeep turns on, the fans will power up (as long as they are turned on). Perhaps I could get the power from behind the dash somewhere and make it cleaner, but I was happy with this.

I'm hoping the next Wrangler JL will have back seat A/C vents!
Old 03-12-2016, 07:56 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Evangelos k
How noisy are they?
The manual lists them at less than or equal to 50 db. They are pretty quiet
Matthewd5 (05-29-2019)
Old 03-12-2016, 07:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Here is the back of the manual. I think the troubleshooting guide is pretty funny.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2331792942.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	429.4 KB
ID:	640389  
Old 03-13-2016, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fiveofun
They are not noisy, pretty quiet. I'll have to look to see if they list a db in the specs.

I would have got the power from the rear outlet, but that one is powered directly from the battery, whereas the dash one is powered from the ignition. I wanted to do it this way so that when the Jeep turns off, the fans will turn off as well, and when the Jeep turns on, the fans will power up (as long as they are turned on). Perhaps I could get the power from behind the dash somewhere and make it cleaner, but I was happy with this.

I'm hoping the next Wrangler JL will have back seat A/C vents!
I think you can make that back outlet switched w the key by moving a fuse under the hood. Maybe #10 if I remember.
Old 05-18-2019, 01:48 PM
JK Newbie

How has the extension cord been holding up from the extreme temperature being up there so close to the roof?

Originally Posted by Fiveofun
OK, so I like driving my Jeep, but in the summer it is brutal for back seat passengers, mainly my two daughters. I’ve done what I can, including installing hot head headliners, which helped. I looked around for some way to get A/C to the back seat, but couldn’t find anything. So I decided to at least put a fan back there. I looked online, and found this fan on Amazon (Amazon.com: AboveTEK® Dual Head Car Auto Cooling Air Fan - Most Powerful Versatile Car Ventilation System with Kids Safe Design - Smooth and Powerful Motor and Adhesive Base to Secure the Fan to Dashboard or Arm Rest Area - 100% LIFETIME WARRANTY: Ho).

I needed power for it, so I got this 12 volt extension cable (Amazon.com: Prime Products 08-0917 12 V 25' Extension Cord: Automotive).

I didn’t know really how long I needed, but the 25 ft was just a few dollars more than the 12 ft, so I went with that one. I measured while installing, and you should be able to do this with a 12 ft. I also needed a way to attach it, so I got some heavy-duty zip ties from Lowes.

The fan is a two speed, and it blows a lot of air. The heads both swivel individually also. The fan came with two padded double stick tape strips, which are about ¼” foam. I put them on, but didn’t peel the side that attaches to the Jeep. I then wrapped the zip ties around the sound bar. I like this because if I run a bikini top (or a soft top), the fan will still work and will not be in the way. I zip tied over the overhead light, but no light is blocked. I decided to use black zip ties to make the look cleaner. I then ran the plug from the fan over the sound bar, there is a groove that makes this work perfect. I removed a piece of foam insulation from the passenger underside of the sound bar. You may be able to hollow it out, and if you use the 12 ft extension wire, you may be able to leave this foam piece there. Next I plugged the 12 volt extension wire into the 12 volt accessory plug in the dash. I like this as well, because when the Jeep turns off, the fan will turn off itself. I then routed the extension wire under the passenger seat, up the door strip to the spot I removed the foam insulation, and bundled the extra up there. Connect the two wires, and you’re finished!

Total cost was about $50.

Now my daughters (and whoever rides back there) should be able to better stand the heat of the summer in Las Vegas.

Quick Reply: Latest Jeep Mod - Back Seat Fans!