Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Last Look before FINALLY Purchasing for my JK

Old 08-12-2011, 03:23 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NJBlackBetty
I have the money now for the 35s, wheels, a 2.5 Teraflex lift and a bumper/tire carrier. I'm thinking maybe just a Teraflex performance leering kit, 33 Duratracs and different wheels might just do the job. Any opinions? How much does it cost to regear? I know a guy that is capable and may save a little on labor.
Welcome to my world. This is what I did after realizing the involvement with correctly going to 35s. The stress to the vehicle and horrible performance was enough to make me wait. Though what they say is true - if you are even thinking 35s and go 33s you will regret it, I would regret not being able to travel on the highway with sluggish in city driving, or bending and axle much worse. Doing it right costs. There are plenty on here that just throw the stuff on and go, but i plan on having the Jeep a while and want it right with no issues a few years from now.

Let me stop you in your tracks on on thing for certain though: There is no "I know a guy" start to a regear job. This is an extensively involved job requiring experience and several specialty tools. DO NOT shotcut this. Find a professional that has done it before - several times. When I priced it I was looking at around $1200 to $1500 at some surrounding reputable 4wd shops.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Yeah. It looks like a performance leveling kit, 33s and some wheels. It's my DD and I can't afford to cause damage right now. I'll look into a 4wd place and try to get some quotes. Anyone that knows of any reputable place in NJ let me know.
Old 08-12-2011, 03:44 AM
JK Enthusiast

I've got the Teraflex 2.5 lift with the same Duratracs you listed. Been running that for a year with no problems. Sure I'd like to have a little more power but it doesn't bother me that much. The Duratracs aren't as heavy as some of the other 35's out there.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:17 AM
JK Enthusiast

Now I don't know what to do! Haha. Jeeps are good because there are so many mod's and also bad, well, because there are so many mod's. I can't decide. I don't know what my stock gears are. How do I find this out? I have a 11' 4D Auto. If I put the 35's on and ran them, how long before any damage would (could) possibly occur. I don't off road and travel mostly highway. Is it really that bad for the Jeep or will it really just make it sluggish. I can deal with sluggish while I get the material together to re-gear.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks Dirtman, but I usually drive highway. About 20 miles to work, leave the vehicle there for either 2 days or 3 days while using my work car, and drive it back home 20 miles. Other than that, it's really just to and from the gym and errands. Flat roads where I live in NJ and I don't off road and wouldn't until I re-gear.
Old 08-12-2011, 04:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. When I would re-gear, what would I go to? Whats a approx cost for something like this?
Old 08-12-2011, 05:07 AM
JK Newbie

You might want to consider an aftermarket tire carrier if you do not already have one. Don't keep the tailgate open (aside from normal use) if you plan on putting the spare on the stock mount.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:30 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm still in the pre-buying stages also. I think I'm slightly in a better position due to my Rubicon's 4.10 stock gears, but I still do have an automatic so it won't be great. But, I will probably just deal with the hit in performance until I get get proper 5.13s or 5.38s. As others have said, you're not going to HURT anything, you just may get passed by mopeds

What I'm more interested in is the true "problems" with using spacers. I find that just about ALL the wheels I like (which are black) are more than 4.5". Some are even out in the 6+ range. For example, I LOVE these wheels and REALLY would like to get them, but I'm paranoid about the backspacing issues people talk about.

http://www.quadratec.com/products/92502_1X01_A_PG.htm

One thing I read was that if you use good quality spacers that it's really not a huge issue. Others say avoid spacers at all costs. Frustrating when you really don't know personally (like me).
Old 08-12-2011, 06:38 AM
JK Freak

Your original buy is great. For the wheels just get them to have around 4.5 backspacing. Sure, you need to re-gear in the future, but for now it'd be fine. Honestly, if you went to a 33 you can run the same lift and possibly not regear at all. Just a thought.
Old 08-12-2011, 12:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the feedback. Turned out to be a really good thread. Probably going with the 35's because I know I will regret the 33's once I would have purchased them, but we will see. I'll post some pics with what I decided after looking around for a place to re-gear.

@Conagher-Thats a Brooklyn Dodgers logo. I hate the Sox too, thats because I am a Yankees fan! Not sure if you that makes it any better for a Phillies fan.

Quick Reply: Last Look before FINALLY Purchasing for my JK