Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Last Look before FINALLY Purchasing for my JK

Old 08-11-2011, 09:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Last Look before FINALLY Purchasing for my JK

About to pull the trigger on…

Teraflex 2.5 2.5 in lift w/ shocks.
Goodyear DuraTrac's 315/70R17 (Height is 34.4 inches)
KMC XD 17" Misfits that has a 0 offset (5' backspace)
Smittybilt Rear SRC Bumper/tire carrier w tow hitch.

Anything else to know before I place the order? I know eventually I may have to regear but don't have the $$ for it now. My only off roading is light trails and the beaches here in NJ or OBX, NC. It's my DD and sees moderate highway time at speeds around 70mph. A

Thanks for all the help so far, this board and members are awesome! I've had a zillion questions and they seem to all get answered in a minute.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:32 AM
JK Freak

That is a sick set up! Take pics!
Old 08-11-2011, 09:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

It's just a start. Just checked your profile on your JK, WOW! Nice rig. Maybe one day for mine, but you have to start somewhere. I love the Bushwacker flat fenders, probably on the next order.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:27 PM
JK Enthusiast

So I should be good w clearance for the tires w 5" backspace? I was going to add flat fenders but if I won't experience any rubbing or just a little at full flex, I will wait to add then at a later date.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

the backspacing is where i raised an eyebrow reading your post. 4.5 is highly recommended for anything bigger than stock (even 33s) but the fender is not where you are going to have the issue, it will be the sway bar at full turn. many have different solutions for this, involving limiting the turn radius with washer spacers so the Jeep doesnt turn as tight. spacers are another option. but for me personally, when i go new wheels i want the right fit. something to think about maybe.....
Old 08-12-2011, 12:00 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks. I'm still grasping the spacer theory. Wouldn't that move the wheel out a little too much, therefore putting more stress on the axles?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

yep - thats the trade off for running the big tires and why so many axles bend. sucks dont it. get the same effect running wheels with different backspacing. then theres the weight difference.....on and on and on it goes
Old 08-12-2011, 12:34 AM
JK Enthusiast

So you think I should pick different wheels?
Old 08-12-2011, 12:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

The more I read I may just can the whole 35s idea. I love the look but don't have the money right now to regear. How soon would I have to regear to be cautious not to cause any major damage?
Old 08-12-2011, 01:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

I have the money now for the 35s, wheels, a 2.5 Teraflex lift and a bumper/tire carrier. I'm thinking maybe just a Teraflex performance leering kit, 33 Duratracs and different wheels might just do the job. Any opinions? How much does it cost to regear? I know a guy that is capable and may save a little on labor.

Quick Reply: Last Look before FINALLY Purchasing for my JK