Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Larger Tires or Stronger Sidewall? -------- (DW Related)

Old 10-12-2011, 03:23 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Larger Tires or Stronger Sidewall? -------- (DW Related)

Because of DW, I have to replace my ball joints. I ordered them and they're on their way. Also on the way is a track bar brace to prevent any possible ovaling. Once I install my newly needed ball joints, I am going to correct the caster on my Jeep (3.5" lift). I would do the caster now but the measurement won't be precise if the ball joints are bad....

Anyway, assuming the new ball joints, caster adjustment, and track bar brace (I have the teraflex monster forged), do not settle my wheel shimmy, which leads to DW on rare occassions.... Think tires can be a culprit?

On my 2" BB I had no problems. Ran BFG A/T 33x12.50 tires. Once I put the coil lift on, DW emerged. Now it's primarily just a wheel shimmy after upgrading to a beefy track bar. I'm sure I have damaged components because of it, hence the ball joints. Anyway, I've heard that the stronger sidewall of tires may help wheel shimmy and DW issues as they are heavier. I've also heard that going bigger than 33's may be a necessity because the larger tires help with the amount of play/flex in the higher lift. I don't know. This tire thing confuses me. So....

Question:
1) Can tires be a culprit of a DW problem? If so, how come?

2) Although I am still running my same tires from my BB, on my new lift, can they still be a probable cause of the wheel shimmy and sometimes rare DW? If so, how come?

3) What's the solution if tires are playing a part in my wheel shimmy and DW issues? When upgrading is it the side of the tire and/or the sidewall rating that will help correct the issue?

Thanks!

PS: For those who don't know, I've dealt with DW before. I know what it feels like. Right now I'm just getting wheel shimmies. One of them did almost go into DW, but I lowered my JK's speed. And, in general, I'm sure the issues now are just from damaged components and bad caster from beforehand. But, I do need new tires soon as mine are balding and so I'm looking into new ones. Either BFG A/T 295/75/R16 or 35x11.50R15.

Again, Thank you!
Old 10-12-2011, 03:56 PM
JK Newbie

Default My dw

My dw started just after i rotated my tires. My tires that were on the rear were really worn and cupping and i moved them to the front to get more wear out of the other tires. Dw started right after my rotate. Found out track bar bolts were lose and steering stablizier was bad so got those fixed and still had a small shake in the steering wheel so had the tires balanced and found out my worn tires are really out of balance. So moved them to the back again and the shake in the steering wheel went away. So until i can afford new tires they will still on the back. If you have dw concerns search for planman he has some good write ups on the issue.
Old 10-12-2011, 04:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by SRAYMOND68
My dw started just after i rotated my tires. My tires that were on the rear were really worn and cupping and i moved them to the front to get more wear out of the other tires. Dw started right after my rotate. Found out track bar bolts were lose and steering stablizier was bad so got those fixed and still had a small shake in the steering wheel so had the tires balanced and found out my worn tires are really out of balance. So moved them to the back again and the shake in the steering wheel went away. So until i can afford new tires they will still on the back. If you have dw concerns search for planman he has some good write ups on the issue.
Thanks! Yeah, with the help of Planman I upgraded my trackbar to the monster forged as my JKS was bowing. That helped out greatly. I think my incompetence during my first DW episodes are part of the cause now -- bad ball joints, terrible caster spec. Going to retorque my trackbar once my frame brace comes in this Friday.

Drag link and trackbar are perfectly parallel. Really no reason for a flip. So if these fixtures don't help, then because I need new tires in the future, I'm really trying to dig up some info on how tires can be a culprit of DW? Especially how they can be from a 2"BB to a 3.5" lift change?

Again, thanks!
Old 10-12-2011, 04:38 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good Luck, I hope I never get the DW's.
Old 10-12-2011, 11:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
RN M OVR,

Your tires would not be a source of DW, but they can be a trigger, or they can cause non-DW shimmies/wobbles when unbalanced or if they have a bad wear pattern.

Tire tread compounds tend to be softer at the lug edges and get harder as they wear down. This is one reason that mud terrain tires get louder as they wear down. It is also the reason why feathered, cupped, and/or uneven treadwear can cause shimmy or wobble problems.

I have a local acquaintance who chased his tail with DW on his JK until he finally inspected and fixed everything at once. Afterwards, he still had a speed dependent shimmy/wobble that was pretty bad. When I finally had a chance to look closely at the rig, I could see that the tires were severely feathered from wobbles and a bad alignment. The variation of softer and harder rubber compounds from the feathered lugs were the source of his remaining problem. He bought new tires, and the problem went away.

Read the DW thread linked in my signature. It explains DW.

If you maintain your rig and re-torque your front trackbar and control arm bolts at every oil change interval and after every major offroading trip, you dramatically reduce the probability that you would ever experience DW.

If you want to reduce the probability even more, you could replace your trackbar bolts with grade 8, 9/16" bolts.
Thanks again for all your help. I'm sure I just need to retorque that trackbar. I definitely need new ball joints. Can't wait for those to come in. And I am definitely hating myself for not bringing my JK into the alignment shop earlier. Lesson learned. I'll just say it and be laughed at, after my 3.5" lift, the alignment shop gave me the read out and my caster is 1.4* on the left and 1.8* on the right. So I'm sure that is a culprit of my constant wheel shimmy and DW occurances?

The alignment shop will do my caster, but they said I should wait until I repair my ball joints, which I plan to do this weekend. With a 3.5" lift on 33" tires, what should my new caster roughly read out to?

Thanks once again!

Quick Reply: Larger Tires or Stronger Sidewall? -------- (DW Related)