Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

Larger Tires = new drive shafts???

Old 10-13-2009, 03:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Larger Tires = new drive shafts???

I was wondering whether installing larger diameter tires would require stronger drivshafts?

I have an 09 sahara and just put 33" cooper stt's on. I was just wondering whether the extra stress could cause driveshaft failure? I know the stock ones are fairly strong, but couldnt find an answer when searching.

cheers
Old 10-13-2009, 03:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default your fine

i dont think so brother, i run 33 inch TSL's and really dog on it, never had any problems
Old 10-13-2009, 03:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

Correct me if I'm wrong but I think it depends on how much lift u have and if it's an automatic
Old 10-13-2009, 03:31 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I ran 33x12.5 Cooper STT's on my stock shafts for a bit over 2 years, no issues at all. So at that tire size, I would say nope. ...Now, if you went to 40's....

My 33 Coopers measure out height wise at 32.5" installed on the stock rims at street pressure. the stock Goodyear SRA's that came on it where 32.1".

0.4 of an inch doesnt mean much in this case.
Old 10-13-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

No you will be fine...some come from the factroy with 33's
Old 10-13-2009, 06:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Thanks guys, just the answers I was hoping for, I thought the little difference in overall diameter between 32" and 33" shouldnt make that much difference, but the overall weight of the new tires is much greater.
Old 10-13-2009, 10:05 AM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

all of the above.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:04 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by dxbjeep
I was wondering whether installing larger diameter tires would require stronger drivshafts?

I have an 09 sahara and just put 33" cooper stt's on. I was just wondering whether the extra stress could cause driveshaft failure? I know the stock ones are fairly strong, but couldnt find an answer when searching.

cheers
If you are referring to the numerous driveshaft threads, bigger tires usually require a lift kit. The lift kit changes the driveshaft angle sometimes to the point where the driveshaft rubs on something like a skidplate or the DS is so large it causes binding in the stock shafts so a new shaft with CV joints is required.

Bigger tires directly stress the brakes, differential and bearings more than the DS.
Old 10-13-2009, 11:09 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by robin
all of the above.
x2 since u save money on drive shafts get some
Old 10-13-2009, 10:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by spinlock
If you are referring to the numerous driveshaft threads, bigger tires usually require a lift kit. The lift kit changes the driveshaft angle sometimes to the point where the driveshaft rubs on something like a skidplate or the DS is so large it causes binding in the stock shafts so a new shaft with CV joints is required.

Bigger tires directly stress the brakes, differential and bearings more than the DS.

Not refering to the lift kit or DS angles. Im refering to the additional stresses that you mention and whether I need to upgrade any other parts, or will the stock JK differential and bearings be ok?

Quick Reply: Larger Tires = new drive shafts???